Chapter 1: Happy Family ... Destroyed

Interior - Ryder's Room (Past) - Night

There is a happy family playing in their only child's room. The little boy is 5 years old and he looks very happy playing with his parents

Julian: Here comes the tickle monster!

The man starts tickling his 5-year-old son, Ryder

Ryder: (laughs) Yeah... (laughs) It tickles.

Ashley: Well, yeah. Lots of tickles. It's time to go to bed

Ashley grabs Ryder and lays him down on the bed.

Ryder (Sad): Ow, can't we play rescue, Dad?

Julián: Tomorrow, champion. It's time to sleep

Ashley grabs a blanket and tucks Ryder in

Ryder: It was amazing how they did that water rescue today. People were very scared, those waves were very strong but you looked very confident... How did you know that everyone was going to be okay? And what were they going to get out of there?

Julian: Simple, son. The Zacharys never give up

Ryder: Well if you guys don't give up, I won't give up when I'm a rescuer either.

Julian: That's my champion!

Julián ruffles Ryder's hair

The house phone starts to ring

Julián: Oh, I'm going to see who it is

Julian leaves the room.

Ashley sits on the bed and caresses Ryder's cheek.

Ryder: Mom, do you think he can be a rescuer like you or my dad?

Ashley: No, I don't think so.

Ryder's face reflects sadness

Ashley: I know you'll be a better rescuer than me or your dad

Ryder smiles

Ashley: But there's something I want you to know and understand, Ryder.

Ryder: What is it, mom?

Ashley takes Ryder's right hand

Ashley: Although it feels good to help others and show them that even though the situation may seem difficult, we can always find solutions to problems. You have to understand that it's not always easy to prove that. Each rescue is difficult, full of challenges and can get very complicated at times. But the key to get out of that is to never give up, think of others before yourself and be very brave. If everyone could follow that advice, then anyone could be a hero.

Ryder: If I don't give up, if I'm brave and if I think of others, will I be a good rescuer?

Ashley: Yes, my love. But there is another clue

Ryder: Which one?

Ashley: (points to Ryder's heart) It's here.

Ryder looks at his chest and then looks confused at Ashley.

Ashley: The final key to being a good rescuer is in the heart. The answers are always in the heart and you have to follow them to the end. There you can find: Courage, hope, leadership and determination. Be a rescuer at heart, Ryder, and you'll never go wrong.

Ryder: But... You'll always be there to help me, right?

Ashley caresses Ryder's cheek

Ashley: My little rescuer... Mommy's here. And I will always be here for you