four

___________________________

"WHERE, AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, THE FUCK IS SHE?" 

"Fury, I promise you if we knew that information we'd tell you." 

A crash was heard over the speakerphone followed by a string of profanities. Wanda looked up to meet Sam's exasperated eyes and Loki thinned his lips into a line. The three huddled around the phone where they still heard numerous crashes on the other side of the call. Sam began to whistle impatiently as Wanda drummed her fingers. A slight pause was heard and the three looked at the phone expectedly.

"Is he quite finished?" Loki asked. 

Sam held up a finger as the pause continued, but not for very long. One last sound was heard of a glass shattering against what sounded like marble. Sam nodded toward Loki. 

"I have Everett Ross breathing down my neck so closely I could swear he's about to kiss me. I do not care what lengths you have to go to, you will find Clark and you will bring her to the Raft immediately. Do you understand me?" 

"Nick--" Wanda started. 

"If a protest comes after that, don't bother. Put Loki on the line."

Sam and Wanda's heads snapped toward Loki, whose eyebrows were pressed together in anticipation. Sam slowly handed the phone over and scowled when Loki took it out of his fingers. Loki comically cleared his throat and raised the phone to his lips. 

"Loki Laufeyson, how may I be of assistance?" 

"You have got to be jok--do you know who you're talking to right now?!" Nick shouted. 

"Is this Captain Marvel speaking?" 

Another profanity was heard and Sam blew raspberries in defeat. 

"Loki, I need you to listen for once in your goddamn life. You are the closest to Alex. You need to find her, if not for your own gain then for the team's." 

"Does this mean I am a part of the Avengers? Oh, goodie." 

"Loki." Nick warned. 

"Do I get a matching t-shirt or did you already distribute them?" 

"Laufeyson." 

"Is there a secret handshake as well?" 

"Loki." 

Sam had already made his way to the couch with his head buried in his hands. Wanda was leaning against the counter defeatedly. The god finally sighed, relenting. 

"Don't you think I've tried finding her? I've no idea where on this earth she would run to, and for some reason, I cannot project to her." 

"Try harder. Wanda will help as well if you are so incompetent you cannot find your own goddamn girlfriend."