five

___________________________

THE MORNING SUN ROSE QUICKLY OVER THE TREES THAT NEXT DAY, and the women wasted no time in packing up and leaving that spot. Alex didn't sleep the whole night out of caution and still did not completely trust her new partner. Viktoria, however, slept soundly. Alex admired the trust the woman had in her but was more so baffled. Given her history, she should not be trusting of anybody. 

They walked in silence after they had discussed leaving Russia. Viktoria twirled her knife in between her two fingers, only a small bag to her name. However, Alex had come with even less. 

"Any chance your powers allow you to teleport?" Viktoria asked. 

"Nope." 

"Worth a shot."

Alex chuckled, her feet kicking the dirt under her boots. She had left New York in her suit, but the nanotechnology Tony had added allowed her to hide it. Underneath the suit, she wore tight leather pants accompanied by a white tank. The black boots she had gotten from Steve were dirty and worn, but she loved them that way. 

Instantaneously, faint sirens were heard in the distance and began to grow louder. Viktoria and Alex shared a glance, both not expecting more authorities. 

"Any chance they're looking for someone else?" Alex tried. 

"Nope." 

"Worth a shot." 

Several cars pulled up, their lights flashing and sirens blaring. Viktoria flipped her knife in her hands nonchalantly while Alex planted her feet menacingly. 

"Sdavat'sya!" 

Alex chuckled at their cries to surrender, face dropping when they drew their automatic rifles. She tsked, turning to Viktoria. 

"How rude of them to not even say hello," 

Viktoria nodded, smirking. "My mozhem reshit' eto, parni."

A gun was cocked in response. 

"Guess not." Viktoria shrugged. 

The pair broke into a run, shouts of numerous men following them. They darted in between alleyways, running into oncoming traffic. Viktoria soared over the cars, hopping from one moving vehicle to the next. Alex followed closely behind, throwing bursts of energy behind her to stop the officers on foot. 

Viktoria pulled out a small handgun from her boot and cocked it. She turned while running and shot the officer closest to Alex. 

"Jesus Christ--where'd that come from and how come it hasn't made an appearance until now!?" She yelled.