16

I stayed on the outside of the camp, picking off the occasional vampire that broke through the Cullen's line, but they were few and far between. The Cullens were a well oiled killing machine, and not one of the intruding coven managed to escape. It was gruesome, but it needed to be done. After, Carlisle told his children to go home, leaving just the two of us. 

I watched him apprehensively. He seemed unsure with was unlike him, but then I was completely at a loss as to why he would want to talk to me. 

"You did well." he said finally. No embellishments, no dancing around the point. Just the truth. 

"Thank you." 

He swallowed hard and closed his eyes. After taking a deep breath he finally said, "I was too harsh. You work well with us. Without Es- Without Esme its harder to make sure it's done correctly and you... fill that space well. If you'd be willing I think you should be part of more missions in the future. Keeping the vampires away with us."

I was shocked and it must have showed because Carlisle waved his hands and tried to take back his offer. 

I laugh, all tension gone from my shoulders. "Stop. I'd be honored be a part of your team." 

He nodded mutely for a moment. "Get on my back, I'll run you back to your truck."

_______________________________________

It was a few weeks before I saw the Cullens again. A few very normal weeks. My life had been totally turned upside down and yet the world went on as normal. I went to the station every day, the petty feuds over desks continued, but I was always on edge. Waiting for Edward or Emmet around ever corner to tell me I was needed. That there was some coven that needed our attention. 

The day finally came when I saw the local vampires again, but it wasn't Edward or Emmet who delivers my summons, but rather Alice. I was going into the hardware store for a new crowbar, mine having been destroyed, and she followed me in. When we were alone in the crowbar isle she whispered a time and location in my ear before brushing past me and into the street beyond. 

As soon as I got to the cliff the Cullens materialized out of the woods. I wasn't late by any means, but the looks I got told me to be earlier next time I was invited on a hunt with them. 

Carlisle spoke first, his words directed at me. "Get on my back, we have to go a ways to get there and id rather not have you trampling around making noise and slowing us down." 

I swallow and nod. My last trip on his back had been disorienting at best. The speed at ice the vampires move is astounding, and it's not easy to get used to. He also may have been making the ride somewhat bumpier, noticing my discomfort, which is justified considering I did kill his wife. I climb on and squeeze my eyes tight as we run through the woods. 

This time we aren't hunting vampires. Apparently vampires and werewolves aren't the only mythic creatures that exist, goblins can be added to the "terrifyingly real" list. Goblins are tricky creatures which far too much brain power than is good for them. They aren't green as book and movies would have you thing, but rather a molted brown and black that makes them impossible to see int he dark. They have huge eyes that take up most of their pointed faces, and yellow fangs that never seem to fit right in their mouths. They are short with comically long arms and claws that almost drag on the ground. 

The fight was over quickly, as ugly as they look, goblins aren't great fighters, better at screaming that clawing or biting. I stayed on the outside of the ring the Cullens created waiting for escapees that never came. 

Carslile dismissed his family so we could speak alone as soon as we reached my truck, just like last time. 

He I climbed off his back and then rounded one him. "Why was I even here tonight? Those goblins didn't stand a chance against you and you know know it, so why bother with me?"

He took a deep breath, releasing it slowly. "I wanted to see if you would come. I wanted to see if this would really work, this partnership." He furrows his brow thinking hard. "And I wanted to see you again. Improbable as it may seem, I... don't hate you."

I blinked at him, not believing my ears. "You wanted to see... me? After all I've done to you? Why me? You didn't need to bring me out to kill some goblins in the middle of the night just to see me, you know where I live come over some time?" 

He laughs and takes a step away from me, leaning on my truck. "I wanted to see you again as you were at the golf course, not as you are at home. If I wanted that I could watch TV, no I wanted to see you in your element again because it absolutely befuddles me how you are you. You have no training, you are a mortal, you barely know who you are and yet you can kill vampires. Against all the odds you aren't dead, and I want to know why." 

I ponder his words a moment, stowing my sword in the truck then leaning against the door next to him. "But you didn't let any of the goblins slip through your ranks. Wouldn't your test have worked better if I had actually done something?" 

He nods slowly, moving to leave. "I suppose it would have, but then where is the fun in that for me? Even when you could see that we had it in had you stayed at the ready, now what does that tell us about you?"

Before I can answer he's gone and I'm alone. I look out at the water crashing into the cliff face in heaving bursts. He's right of course, even when I saw the last goblin go down I still stayed in my ready stance until the Cullens turned away and Carlisle motioned I should climb on his back.But wet did that say about me other than I was doing my job? They asked me there as a safety net, so that what I was and I sure as hell wasn't going to do a bad job and get myself killed in the process. I tuned back to my truck and drove home, still pondering the meaning of his words.