Chapter 3

"Sophie, are you ever going to talk to mom again?" Jordan Moore asked her big sister as they had lunch together that day.

"You ask me every time we spend time together and my answer remains the same. Unless mom has suddenly gotten with the times and realized it's the 21st century, no. Especially after what she said after Kate died." Sophie said.

"And that would be?" Jordan asked, since she hadn't heard this part.

"That I'm better off without that seductress in my life, luring me to throw my life away." Sophie said.

"Okay yeah, if I didn't already think it before, I'm definitely thinking mom's a bitch now." Jordan said.

"Yeah. Honestly, I can't stop thinking that if I hadn't had rejected Kate, she wouldn't have left on that plane and she'd still be alive. Honestly, my biggest fear is that she died hating me because she thought that I didn't love her." Sophie said.

"Even though that's not true." Jordan said.

"Maybe, but that doesn't stop me from not being welcomed at the Kane home." Sophie said.

"I thought that Commander Kane didn't blame you." Jordan asked.

"He doesn't. But Kate's sister does." Sophie said.

"Mary." Jordan said.

"Yeah, Mary seems to think that the only reason Kate was on that plane was because she needed to get away from me after I broke her heart. In her opinion, if it weren't for me, Kate never would've been on that plane and it doesn't help that she seems to think that her father was replacing Kate with me." Sophie said.

"Have you tried talking to her about it?" Jordan asked.

"More times than I can remember, but honestly, I think the only way Mary will ever let go of her anger towards me is if Kate tells her it's not my fault." Sophie said.

"Then you'd still need to hear it from her to even think about letting go of the guilt you feel about Kate's death." Jordan said.

"You're not wrong." Sophie admitted, right as her phone rang.

"You mind?" Sophie asked.

"That depends, is it your fling?" Jordan asked.

"Montoya is not a fling." Sophie said.

"Really, then what would you call her considering that you refuse to call her your girlfriend." Jordan said, since her sister had been having some kind of relationship with Renee Montoya.

"Friends with benefits. Honestly, between my guilt over Kate and her own dramas, it's just stress relief. But no, it's not her." Sophie said as she decided to take a risk and answer the call.

"Hello." Sophie asked and she nearly dropped her phone at the voice she heard on the other end of the call.

"Sophie, it's me, it's Kate. I'm alive." Kate said as she sat on the phone aboard the jet that was bringing her home from Europe, which was where the boat from Coryana had taken her, since she couldn't risk direct travel back from there, her emotions in no way fake as she spoke to Sophie for the first time since Crisis. And honestly, even then, she hadn't even had a chance to say goodbye to her before it all happened. But one thing had been made clear to her. She was done holding a grudge. Especially one that seemed so insignificant now. Though that didn't mean she wasn't going to milk it a bit.

"I don't know who you are, how you got this number or what kind of sick game you're trying to play here, but knock it off." Sophie said, refusing to allow herself to hope that Kate was still alive.

"No Soph, it's really me. It's the same Kate you met during our sophomore year at Point Rock. The same girl you went out of your way to break the rules for and the same girl whose heart you broke when you rejected her." Kate said and now Sophie was convinced that this was Kate.

"Kate, how?" Sophie asked.

"It's a long story. I'll tell you when I get back, which will be tomorrow. I'm currently on a plane back from Europe." Kate said.

"Kate, does your dad know?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, he does, but I wanted to tell you myself." Kate said.

"So I'm guessing that means you don't hate me?" Sophie asked.

"Let's just say that I had a lot of time to reflect on things while I was thought to be dead. While I'm still not completely thrilled that you chose Point Rock over me, I think that you've suffered enough thinking I was dead for five years." Kate said and Jordan could see the weight of guilt be lifted off her sister.

"Mind telling Mary that? She still blames me for what happened." Sophie said and Kate chuckled.

"Actually, I think I'm going to let her terrorize you a little longer." Kate said and Sophie rolled her eyes at that.

"Remind me again why I missed you?" Sophie asked.

"I'll remind you when I get home." Kate said.

"Kate, I came out to my mom." Sophie said and Kate froze at the sound of that, since that was a major point in Sophie's favor.

"Does that mean that there's no Mr. Sophie Moore." Kate asked.

"Not for my mother's lack of trying. Honestly, I've blocked her number and email address to keep her from trying to send me ads for 'regain your faith' camps or straight dating sites." Sophie said

"And you wanted her approval, why?" Kate asked, since it was clear that Sophie's mother had never approved of her daughter's relationship.

"Lapse in judgement. But it sounds like we'll actually be able to have a talk that doesn't involve a yelling match." Sophie said.

"Let's not go crazy yet." Kate said with a smile.

"I'll ask your dad to get me the information regarding your landing tomorrow. I'm going to be there." Sophie said.

"I'll see you then." Kate said as she hung up.

"So, it's like someone was listening to our conversation since Kate's alive and clearly still into you for some reason, which is good, because I never got to tell her embarrassing stories about you." Jordan said.

"Yeah try it and I'll have you spend the next 3-5 years in Blackgate for your so-called 'activism'." Sophie promised.

"It'll be worth it. Besides, I'm sure Kate will be so happy with me she'll post my bail." Jordan said and both sisters laughed as they continued their lunch.