Chapter 4

"I have to say, this is a surprise. I wasn't aware we had an appointment." Renee Montoya said to Sophie when her fling entered her office as the head of Gotham's new Rogue's Unit.

"Yeah, this isn't a social call." Sophie said and Renee could tell from Sophie's tone that she would not like this conversation.

"Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to like how this conversation is going to go?" Renee asked.

"Kate Kane has been found alive and she'll be returning home to Gotham tomorrow, so I think you can guess where this is going." Sophie said and Renee sighed.

"Yeah, I can. I'm guessing this means that our arrangement is coming to an end?" Renee asked.

"Yeah, it sounds like Kate is finally giving me a chance to win her back and I highly doubt that sleeping with you after she gets back will help with that." Sophie said and Renee smiled.

"I think we both knew that this arrangement was never going to last and I'm happy that you're getting a second chance with the woman you love. We're not all that lucky." Renee said as she thought about her own doomed love.

"I think it's a bit different. I betrayed Kate simply out of fear and selfishness. You betrayed Pam to protect this whole city." Sophie said, since she was one of the few people who knew the truth about what happened to Poison Ivy, aka Renee's ex-girlfriend, Pamela Isley.

"Still, I'm the one who told Batman to bury Pam alive and even though I know it needed to be done for the sake of Gotham, I still stay awake at night, wondering that maybe if I'd made a different call, maybe we could've found a different way to stop her." Renee said.

"At least she's still alive. Maybe you could visit her. Say you're sorry?" Sophie suggested.

"Except I'm not and she knows it and besides, even if I wanted to face her, which I don't, it's not an option. The only person who knows where she is is Batman and I told him I didn't want to know." Renee said and Sophie sighed.

"Didn't you say that Batman also said that he'd try to find a cure for her?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, but it's been over a decade and something tells me he's given up." Renee said and Sophie sighed.

"I really wish that things were different Renee, but I do hope that maybe you'll find love with someone else." Sophie said sympathetically.

"Thank you. And thanks for the stress release over the past few years. It's been really helpful." Renee said and Sophie chuckled.

"Hey, if things go badly with Kate, I may end up back here." Sophie said and Renee chuckled.

"I don't think I'm that lucky." Renee said as Sophie took that as her cue to leave, not noticing a tear fall down Montoya's cheek as she left.

"You have some nerve showing your face here today of all days." Mary said to Sophie the following day when they, along with Jacob Kane and Mary's mother, Catherine Hamilton-Kane, stood on the tarmac at Gotham airfield waiting for Kate to get off the recently landed plane.

"I was invited." Sophie said.

"Really, why the hell would my dad invite you here when you're the reason we have to be here in the first place, since the only reason Kate is coming home from being lost for 5 years is because you drove her away on that plane that crashed." Mary said.

"Mary, enough. I didn't invite Sophie, but I am glad she's here." Jacob said, causing his daughter to look at him in shock.

"Well if you didn't invite her, then who did?" Mary asked.