AWAKE : ONE

Y/N'S POINT OF VIEW

"Ugh," I groan, my head throbbing from last night's celebration at the bar. 

I definitely overdid it on the alcohol. 

I stumble out of bed and head towards the kitchen, hoping to find something to eat. Unfortunately, the fridge is practically empty, except for some dumplings.

I never knew my parents, but I have an amazing older sister, Nayeon. She's been like a mother and father to me ever since I was born. 

My mom died giving birth to me, and our dad abandoned us, blaming me for her death. 

"Ugh, what time is it?" I mumbled, pushing open Nayeon's door. 

2PM

Our three-bedroom apartment usually buzzed with life at this hour – me and Nayeon in our rooms, and the faint sounds of our tenant drifting in from the rented room. But today, an unsettling silence hung heavy in the air. It was as if the world had been muted.

Frowning, I peered into Nayeon's room. Normally, the afternoon sun streaming through the window would have her stirring by now. This strange quiet added another layer of discomfort to my already pounding head. Memories of the usual cacophony of the afternoon – the rumble of passing cars, the distant shouts of children playing – sent a shiver down my spine. 

 Where were all the sounds? 

"Unnie," I called out, gently shaking Nayeon's shoulder. She stirred with a low groan, mirroring the dull ache in my own head. 

 Maybe last night's celebration had been a bit too successful for both of us.

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips. "Really?" I muttered under my breath.

My stomach was grumbling, and Nayeon certainly wasn't going to whip up a meal in this state.

Jennie, our resident chef, was my only hope.

Pushing open Jennie's door, I called out her name. 

"Jennie~" I called, my voice laced with concern as I gently shook her shoulder. It was the same nudge I'd given Nayeon, but this time, there was no drowsy response.

Silence...

Jennie was a light sleeper.

Panic started to gnaw at the edges of my calm. "Jennie! Wake up!" I shook her a little harder, then poked her nose, anything to get a reaction.

Light sleepers. 

Both Nayeon and Jennie were featherweights when it came to sleep. 

Unless...

The thought hung unspoken, a dark possibility blooming in my mind.

Hurriedly, I grabbed her wrist, searching for a pulse. Relief flooded me as I felt the faint thrumming beneath my fingertips. 

 Thank God, she wasn't dead. 

But why wouldn't she wake up? 

"Hays," frustration boiled over, and I bolted for Nayeon's room. Shaking her awake felt like an eternity. Finally, she stirred, blinking at me with a bewildered expression. Before she could question me, I snatched her phone and dialed the police. 

 The line rang endlessly, each unanswered ring hammering a nail of dread into my chest. 

They didn't seem to want to answer my call.