Monsters vs Aliens (Pt 8) - Buried Feelings

"Three weeks ago, if you had asked me to defeat a giant robot, I'd have said, 'What are you on?! I can't do that!' But I did it! Me!"
(Y/n) smirked from her spot on the floor and glanced at B.O.B. and Dr. Cockroach, who smiled back at her.

"I'm still buzzing. Did you see how strong I was?! Probably isn't a jar in this world I can't open."
"Steven, you were totally awesome today!" (Y/n) grinned.
"You were positively heroic, good sir." Cockroach beamed.
"I especially loved how you saved those people on the bridge. It was a nice touch. Wasn't he amazing, Link?"

"Yeah, he was great. Really cool. Loved it."
Dr. Cockroach grinned.
"Oh, poor Link. After all that tough talk, you were out-monstered by a giant man. No wonder you're depressed."
"Oh stop that doc!" (Y/n) rolled her eyes.
"Hey, I'm not depressed. I'm tired."
B.O.B. frowned. "Why are you so tired? You didn't do anything—"

"Well, I haven't been sleeping well. Right? I got sleep apea... apnea. Whatever. It's not fun."
"So Link's a little rusty... I mean, sleep deprived. You'll be back to your old self in no time." (Y/n) said as she gave him a thumbs up.

"And so will I." Steven grinned.
(Y/n)'s mood shifted.
"...huh?"
"What happened to the 'there isn't a jar in the world I can't open' stuff? Wait. Did you find a jar you couldn't open? Were pickles in it? Where's the giant jar of pickles?!" B.O.B. demanded, pointing at Steven.

Dr. Cockroach interrupted. "What my associate is trying to say is that we all think the new Steven is the 'cat's me-ow.'" He said with a weird chuckle before apologizing.
"Pfft—"

"Wow. Thanks, you guys. That's really nice, but I have a normal life waiting for me? You know?"
(Y/n) looked away from him and down to her feet.
This didn't go unnoticed by Link and the doc.
"So, uh, tell me, exactly, how this normal life thing works with you being a giant and all."
Link asked.
Steven leaned back and looked up at the ceiling.

"I'm not gonna be a giant forever. Denise won't rest until we've found a cure for my... condition. We're a team."
(Y/n) lightly scoffed and brought her knees up to her chin. "Yea... some team."
Dr. Cockroach heard the woman's remark, but ignored it for the time being.

"We could all do with a Denise. Perhaps, someday, we could make acquaintance!"
Ginormico and (Y/n) raised their eyebrows in surprise. "Really? You guys wanna meet Denise?" Steven asked excitedly.
"R-Really? You guys wanna meet... Denise?"
(Y/n) cringed.

She sighed before standing up.
"I... I'll be right back. Just gotta go up and get some paperwork down. Should be back down when we land." She said before turning to the stairs.
"Oh here. Let me help." Steven offered as he grabbed the girl.
She blushed at the feeling of his fingers around her and gently lifted her up to the balcony above his head.

"T-Thanks Steven..." she stuttered before quickly leaving the room. She walked into an empty room, shut the door, and plugged some earphones into her ears as she pulled up a computer.

Anything to get her mind off the heartbreak having to lose the man she loved... again.
Silent tears slid down her face, but she was quick to wipe them away.

The screen on her computer lit up and a ding signaled a new notification. (Y/n) clicked on it and began to read the email.
Her puffy eyes widened at the screen in disbelief.
Oh. My. Gosh!
This... this was great news for her!

She had to tell everyone! She had to tell...
Dr. Cockroach...
And Insectosaurus...
And Link...
B.O.B. too...
And even...
Steven...

The woman ran a hand through her hair and groaned, absolutely miserable at this point...
"So, when can we tell Steven about (Y/n)'s gigantic crush on him?" B.O.B. asked after said girl left.
"Wait huh?" Steven questioned.
Dr. Cockroach and Link stared B.O.B. down in horror.