Chapter 36: The Hero and the Sages

Keese chirped in the distance, and the smell of rot and decay was thick

Keese chirped in the distance, and the smell of rot and decay was thick. Link stood on the edge of the cliff overlooking the pit of lava beneath the castle, and stared up at the castle doors just out of reach. But he wasn't alone anymore. The time for puzzles and games had passed. Wasting time was not an option here, and at last the Sages could do the job they'd been saving their energy for all this time.

"Link... Can you hear me? It's Rauru, the Sage." Though Link could not see them, he knew they were there, behind him, waiting to help. "We six will gather our power to create a bridge to the castle where Ganondorf dwells... The castle's keep--Ganondorf's Tower-- is protected by six evil barriers. We will help bring down the six barriers, and save Princess Zelda!"

Even as Ganondorf's dark powers pushed them away, the Sages used their magics to create a bridge of light, shimmering every color. Link didn't have much time, and could see it wavering already. But this was the time to use everything he'd learned.

On the edge of the cliff, Link raised his hand and summoned Farore's Wind, creating a return point. His plan was to go in, take down Ganondorf, and warp back out.

Leaving the green glowing circle of light behind, Link headed across the rainbow bridge. His footsteps trailed behind him, creating ripples in the light as the whole thing fell away. By the time he made it to the castle doors, the bridge was gone. Link took one last look at Hyrule before breaking down Ganondorf's doors with his bare hands. A wave of darkness flew through him, trying to force him down, but Link wasn't going out that easy. He drew his weapons and entered the hall of the castle.

The first thing he noticed was how big the chamber was, but the second thing he noticed was how filled it was with Ganondorf's monsters.

So your own people aren't even the full force of your army, Link thought. No, he knew now that Ganondorf cared nothing for the Gerudo. As far as this monster was concerned, people as a whole were beneath him. There were only the lesser beasts he surrounded himself with like some sort of deranged goblin king. But today... "It's still not enough."

As he ran he blasted his way forward with Din's Fire. It took out a few on the front lines, but it made an opening for him to use his sword to carve a path through the monsters. Only a moment later however he noticed his fires were moving, shifting colors, and floating through the air.

"I thought you could use some help," Saria said.

Link cut down moblins and wolfmen, blocking attacks as well as he could. But soon the enemy was focused on something else. The floating fires revealed their true forms as the torches held by the Poe Sisters. They were fighting back, drawing the enemy away to allow Link to continue.

The oldest sister, Joelle, fought beside Link.

"Y̴o̶u̴ ̵h̶a̸v̸e̷n̶'̶t̷ ̴f̴o̷r̷g̵o̸t̷t̵e̷n̵,̴ ̵h̵a̵v̶e̵ ̴y̷o̷u̸?̸"