Chapter 38: Sacrificial Divide

In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule

In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule... Long have I served as the guardian spirit... I am known as the Deku Tree... The children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me. Each Kokiri has his or her own guardian fairy.

However, there is one boy who does not have a fairy...

...

She hovered above the little boy still snoring on his bed. "Hello, Link!" she said cheerfully. "Wake up!"

...

"We'll need to find another way through," Navi whispered. "I'll sneak up behind 'em and knock 'em out! You make a mad dash for the front-"

"No," Link chuckled, hanging his head. "We'll uh... we'll go around. Can you fly around and see if there's an opening?"

"On it!" Navi kicked off and into the air again. The castle was too big to circle entirely, but paying closer attention to the lowest level of the castle in the immediate area she found something that might work.

She landed back on Link's shoulder, ready to explain her plan.

"So what did you find?" Link asked.

...

Link wasn't sure what the old man was talking about, but he forced himself to stand... and when he looked at himself...

"Look, Link!" Navi exclaimed. "You're big now! You've grown up!"

He felt different... Taller for sure, but something else. It didn't feel like his body. It felt...

Link growled at himself, balling his fists. He couldn't quite piece it together but it was wrong. Whatever this was, whatever was happening now... it was wrong!

...

Link got up and crossed the room to a little shelf. Sitting on it was a stitched together mattress and blanket, a small pillow sitting on it. "I made this, for when I finally got a fairy," he sat it down next to Navi. "We left the forest so quickly after everything happened..." He sat on his own bed as Navi crawled into hers.

"It's comfortable," Navi smiled. "Thanks."

Link laid down, his feet hanging over the edge. His own bed was a lot less comfortable now... but even then it felt safer than anywhere else he'd been in seven years... Seven years packed into almost two weeks...

"Goodnight," Link said.

Navi was already asleep, her light dimming and glowing in rhythm with her breathing.

...

Navi looked at the grass, nearly as tall as she was when sitting down. "Great Deku Sprout," she mumbled. "What if... I wasn't the best pick to help him?"