Chapter 14 - Sound so Cold

~Ayla~

I didn't need to see Killian to know he would be angry. We made a plan, and I should've stuck with it. I wanted to stick with it, but Saleem wouldn't leave me be. So I had to improvise.

Things had taken a few days to calm down, so Killian had waited to return to the empty cabin. He'd just got back yesterday. I hadn't had time to drop in yet, so I was annoyed when I found Saleem's scent all over the surrounding area. I couldn't have other pack members noticing all the activity around here, so the fact that he had been spying on Killian enough to leave a scent pissed me off. Killian had no trouble sneaking around, but on the off-chance he let his guard down, I couldn't have anyone hanging around here to notice him. I imagine Saleem's spying hadn't kept Killian from going wherever he wanted whenever he wanted anyway.

Knowing it pissed Killian off, I loudly walked up the three steps to the cabin door before using my key to let myself in. Unamused, Killian stepped out of the hallway, staring me down.

"No knife-wielded greeting?" I asked cheerfully. "Aww, you must be warming up to me"

"You're louder than any other member of your pack. I could tell it was you from a mile away."

"That's BS. I may just stop bringing you dinner if you continue to be mean," I teased, placing the bag of food-filled tupperware on his counter.

"I told you to stop bringing food anyway."

I ignored him and unloaded the tupperware from the bag. "Look, I know you're mad at me, but you don't have to be more of an asshole than usual."

Instead of letting him respond, in seconds, I had the lid popped off to one of the containers. "Now tell me this pork does not smell divine."

The peace offering worked. A smug smile made its way onto my face as Killian came over and grabbed it before retreating.

"Ah ah," I tut-tutted, sliding more containers to the counter edge. "Can't forget your veggies. Maybe some fiber will get that stick out of your ass."

All I got in response was an intense glare.

Not one to need to fill every silence with words, I waited for Killian to eat a bit before talking again. "I hadn't meant to let Saleem in on the plan, but I trust him. Now that he knows, I think things could potentially be easier. He's my best tracker. It's good to have him aware."

Killian scoffed. "Best tracker? He needs to stop hanging around here. It's only been a day, and he's already become a liability."

Maybe Killian's intention was just to insult Saleem, but Saleem was my best tracker. An insult to Saleem's abilities was a direct insult to my pack. I didn't hide the annoyance in my tone with my next words. "Saleem is good at what he does. He just doesn't trust you, and rightfully so."

"You shouldn't have told him."

"I didn't have a choice."

With a clenched jaw, he icily stared at me, showing me exactly how he felt about that comment without saying a word.

"I suppose we will have to agree to disagree," I offered, attempting to patch things over.

Finished with the pork, he grabbed a container full of veggies from the counter. Taking the action as his own little version of a peace offering, I smiled at him. He observed me for a few seconds before speaking again.

"I'm not ruling him out just yet," he offered slowly, as if agreeing with me on something physically hurt him, "but I agree that the tracker is likely not the one behind the price on your head."

"I told you he wouldn't even harm a fly!"

Killian laughed, finding my statement funny for a reason unclear to me. It was the first time I'd heard him laugh, and the sound was almost disturbing. In contrast to his rich voice, his laugh lacked any vestiges of warmth and was a sound so cold that I couldn't help but shudder. Had he been intentionally changing his voice for me?

Suddenly, I was reminded that had we not had this predestined connection, had I been any other person, I would be dead right now, killed by his hands. It seemed that I had been subconsciously ignoring that fact up until that moment, but I understood why. I hated having to admit it to myself.

Almost as if my brain had performed a fight-or-flight analysis and chosen flight without me even realizing, I had taken a few steps away from my side of the counter. Another expression had made its way onto Killian's face, one that wasn't entirely a frown but one that didn't adhere to his normal, undisturbed look.

Immediately, I felt terrible. I knew with 100% certainty that Killian wouldn't ever harm me, and as much as I could feel that he wanted me to be scared of him, I didn't want him to ever know that he had scared me even momentarily. He didn't deserve my reaction, especially because in spite of how dark of a sound it was, I wanted Killian to feel like he could laugh around me.

"I'm being serious!" I tried to pretend like nothing had happened, but the damage had already been done. A thickness had formed in the air, and it wasn't going away.

"So..." I drawled, using the time to round the counter and enter his side of the kitchen. Determined to repair the situation and prove to him I wasn't afraid of him, I hopped up onto the counter next to him, sitting with my legs dangling over the edge. "If you don't think it's Saleem, who's next on your list?"

Killian backed away from me, putting more distance between us, but still responded. "Your beta."

"Jorge isn't behind this either! He has a wife! And kids!"

"Hitler had a wife."

I rolled my eyes. "He's loyal. Doesn't talk much, I'll admit, but he supported my transition to alpha, even if it was a silent support. And he loves his family too much to do something this stupid."

"Someone that hires an assassin doesn't intend to be caught."

Joking, I hold my hands up in surrender. "Look, you do you. I'm just saying I don't think it'd be anyone in this pack." 

~~~

Please vote, follow, and/or comment!

Question of the week: Is Killian taking the wrong approach? Who do you think he should research?