Chapter 22 - Freshen Up

~Ayla~

"Wow, he really did not do well in school," I commented, peeking over Killian's shoulder at the screen in his lap. Logan Rivera's high school report card was dismal at best. He'd barely passed enough to graduate.

I could tell being cooped up was making Killian agitated, so I'd offered my laptop to him to give him access to the alpha database. I'd done some digging into the warriors we were housing already but hadn't found anything incriminating, unsurprisingly. While I loved to think Alpha Cox was an idiot, he'd have to be really stupid to plant assassins with any sort of easily accessible, suspicious history onto my territory.

Minutes after I'd logged into the database and handed my laptop off to Killian, I'd realized I was giving Kilian access to information every assassin dreamed of having. He could explore all current and past pack ties of any werewolf, half-breed, and even human ally in this country.

What surprised me the most was the ease with which I entrusted it to him. This transgression likely fell into the realm of treason, and the council could quite literally demand my head for it if they found out. They never would. I knew with certainty Killian would never mention this to anyone.

"Didn't you mention something about having meetings today?" Killian asked, clearly irritated by my presence.

I shrugged. "Rescheduled one. The other is much later."

He sighed, finally bringing his eyes away from the laptop to meet mine. My breath caught in my throat. Ever since this morning, my body had been on edge around him. The line of tension between us had been pulled taut.

Killian's lips pursed, and it took all my willpower to stop myself from looking at his mouth. I was already embarrassed at how needy I'd been earlier. I absolutely could not allow myself to imagine what kissing him would feel like.

"You didn't need to do that," he said, and for a second, I couldn't remember what it was I had last said.

"And have someone wander up here? Too risky."

"You're the only one that's been up here in a while. All the other scents have gone stale."

A sardonic laugh escaped me. Leave it to Killian Murray to accidentally wave my loneliness into my face. Most people around my age in the pack were close acquaintances of mine; it was hard to not know everyone well when you quite literally have known them since you were born, yet outside of Saleem, I didn't have what I considered a solid friendship in this pack.

I watched as Killian's eyes narrowed. "Seems like lover boy has decided to come freshen his up."

If I hadn't also caught the growing scent of Saleem, I would have needed clarification. Lover boy? Seriously? As I slipped out my door to meet Saleem in the hall, I gave Killian a scathing glare.

"What's he doing up here?" Saleem immediately asked, clearly on edge and with the smallest hint of disdain in his voice.

Having expected Saleem's usual indirect way of going about things, I was stunned for a second. Saleem looked angry, and I had never seen Saleem angry.

"He came to discuss something with me. I asked too many questions, everyone decided to go on a walk today, and alas, he's stuck here for the time being." It wasn't necessarily a lie. I was becoming good at the art of the half truth, and I hated it. I'd always been someone that spoke her mind, so lying of any sort didn't sit well with me.

Saleem nodded, seemingly accepting, but I could see his clenched jaw still ticking.

"Did you catch his scent from downstairs or..." I trailed off as I suddenly felt awkward knowing Killian could likely hear the conversation.