Chapter 15 - Guess Where I Am

~Killian~

I was convinced that karma had it out for me.

Keeping an eye on the beta, Jorge, often meant having to observe Ayla too, as they were both around for most of the training sessions.

From my spot in the woods, I saw Ayla approach a pair that were mock fighting, correct a woman's stance, and step back. It was colder than normal out today, and Ayla was covered head to toe in black and leather. She looked absolutely lethal, and it wasn't just me that noticed. The two warriors that had come to watch the session couldn't stop staring at her ass every time her back was turned to them.

Correction ー I suppose karma had tried to do me a favor in pairing me with her, but I hadn't done a damn thing to deserve it. Perhaps some version of me in a past life had done something good, but I couldn't remember the last time I did something that the universe would consider "nice" at any point in this life.

It seemed both Ayla and Jorge weren't satisfied with the progress, and they demonstrated the maneuver again. It made me wonder if she ever had any time to train herself since becoming alpha, to fight someone like Jorge thoroughly instead of just doing a few moves for demonstrations. A lot of alphas accidentally let themselves get rusty, and I'd have to make sure she didn't. When this was all over, she'd have her whole life left to get rusty.

When I had trouble falling asleep at night, I liked to picture the rest of her life. Ayla would find a way to make history somehow, I could tell. It just wouldn't be because of an assassination. She'd be a kick ass alpha, and she'd love every minute of it.

I couldn't picture her with a heap of children, but she'd probably find the time to have one or two. They were children with someone else, a man who could appreciate her fiery attitude. Every night, my brain conjured up someone different, but the man was always as intelligent and quick-witted as she was. She'd probably get bored with someone who wasn't. For her sake, I wanted to believe that those annoying, long, sappy marriages were possible because I wanted her to have one. I wanted the rest of her life to be happy.

Distracting me from my thoughts, the movement of one of the warriors caught my eye. He had picked up a phone call and had started to head out of the clearing.

So far, Ayla appeared to be right about Jorge. He didn't seem to say much, but he wasn't suspicious, just a quiet man. My gut was telling me he was harmless, and I'd developed pretty good instincts for that sort of thing over the years. I'd follow him around later when he was alone just to be sure, but watching Jorge for any longer now was a waste of my time. Instead, I took off after the warrior. This particular man seemed to be one of the leaders of the warriors stationed here, so it'd be good to follow him for a bit.

Although Ayla was quick to declare him an unlikely candidate, the first person Ayla had brought up when we went over the long, albeit funny, list she had made for me was the warrior alpha, Alpha Cox. Ayla explained the warrior alpha's opposition to her status and how he liked to belittle her in front of other alphas at their region's meetings. We agreed that he would have to be a an idiot to, after openly campaigning against her, offer payment for her assassination, but out of everyone on her list, Ayla mentioned Cox as the one with the most contempt for her. If he wasn't behind it, I'd have to do some serious digging into other candidates, and that would take a lot of time, time we didn't have.

Carefully staying downwind from the warrior, I edged closer to him as he walked farther from the training grounds. Whatever phone call he had taken was obviously too private for him to want to answer around others, and I intended to hear as much of it as I could. This warrior was a loud one, however. He didn't give a damn about stomping around in the woods. Letting out crunch after crunch, every branch that was in his path was getting crushed beneath his boots. It made it impossible to hear him, but fortunately for me, it made me more confident in easing myself forward. He wouldn't be able to hear me over his own racket.

Eventually, he came to a stop.

"Baby, I miss you too, but I'm busy right now. Alpha's orders."

Now, I was close enough to hear both him and the person on the other side of the phone.

"But Logan," the woman replied, dropping her voice an octave, "I want you now, baby"

Great, after all the effort, I was getting to eavesdrop on a conversation with this man's - I surveyed his neck and took a deeper whiff of the air - girlfriend, at the most. After seeing him eye Ayla's ass so intently earlier, I hoped the woman on the other end had other prospects.

The guy's voice had turned a little hoarse. "We can finish this later, babe. I swear."

"It'll be too late later. I'm touching myself now, imagining it's your head between my legs."

The woman moaned, and I almost gagged. Was walking away then worth the risk of him hearing me?

"Guess where I am right now?" the woman asked, her voice sultry.

Logan, the poor guy, was clearly at a loss for words.

"I'm sending you a photo," she said.

I could tell when it came through because Logan's eyes bugged out of his head. "You're so wet for me, baby."

"I'm aching, Logan. I want you inside me."

Logan groaned, and I noticed the tent in his pants get a little taller.

I needed to leave, now. I did not wish to see - and hear - how the rest of this ended. I had just started to turn around when I heard Logan curse.

"Baby, I need to go," he told the woman quickly. "Alpha's calling. We will finish this later, I swear."

Hurriedly, Logan answered the phone while adjusting himself in his pants. He cleared his throat before greeting the man on the other side.

Alpha Cox's voice was lower and way more quiet than the woman's voice. It made it much harder to discern.

"Yes, Alpha. We've been keeping an eye on her."

Logan listened as Cox responded.

"I can't. She's leading the training session right now."

What was Cox instructing him to do?

"She's not doing a bad job, actually. Maybe we shouldn't go through with your plan."

Alpha Cox's voice rose, and I could finally make out a bit of what he had been saying. Pieced together, it sounded as if Logan was getting a scolding for questioning his alpha's decisions.

"You are right, alpha, of course. I am sorry for the suggestion. We will continue as planned."

The conversation ended just as quickly as it started, but my curiosity was piqued. What was Alpha Cox planning?

~~~

Please vote, follow, and/or comment!

Question of the week: What do you think Alpha Cox is planning?

So on the day I posed myself the question "what conversation would this warrior guy need to have in private?," my head was in a gutter.  Apologies. My first draft had a lot of sexual expletives that I edited out before posting, so ayyy, at least there's that. Also, because I didn't feel like rewriting it to have Logan having an embarrassing conversation with his mother or something, I feel like I should include this lovely reminder for the 12% of my readers under the age of 18: Logan and the woman in this chapter are two consenting adults. It is against the law in most U.S. states for minors to send, receive, and/or keep explicit imagery.