01. Sol 18 (Part I)

EXT. SPACE - MARS

The Red Planet momentarily eclipsed the Sun. Sunlight broke across the edge, warming the surface.

EXT. MARS - DAY - ARES 3 HAB

Lewis said over the radio, "All right, team. Stay in sight of each other. Let's make NASA proud."

Mark Watney was in the middle of an EVA experiment. He chipped at a section of rocks and recorded his observations on his arm computer and said, "In grid section fourteen twenty-eight, the particles appear predominantly "coarse," but as we move to twenty-nine, the particles are much finer, and should be ideal for chem analysis."

A voice said over the radio, "Hear that, everyone?" Rick Martinez was inspecting the Mars Ascent Vehicle, the MAV, on the launch pad. They spoke over radios. "Mark just discovered "dirt." Alert the media."

"What's your job today, Martinez? Confirming the MAV is still upright?"

"Visual inspection of equipment is imperative to mission success."

Martinez studied the MAV for a moment, then spoke thoughtfully into his arm computer. "The MAV is still upright."

"Watney, you keep leaving your channel open..." another voice said.

Melissa Lewis, across the way, was overseeing a drill experiment. "Which leads to Martinez responding, which leads to us listening, which leads to me being annoyed."

"Martinez, Commander Lewis would like you please shut your smart mouth," Mark said.

"Speaking for the smart people of the world..." another voice began.

INT. HAB - DAY

Dr. Chris Beck studied samples on slides at his station while Teagan stood at another desk writing notes.

Beck continued. "We would prefer you use a different adjective to describe Martinez' mouth."

"Maybe perhaps more on the lines of chatterbox or an antonym to smart," Teagan added.

EXT. MARS - DAY

"Did Beck and Campbell just insult me?" Martinez asked.

"Doctors Beck and Campbell," Mark corrected. "And yes."

"Happy to turn their radios off from here, Commander..." another voice said.

INT. HAB - DAY

Beth Johanssen sat inside at her computer, tracking, among other things, the group's communications. "Just say the word."

EXT. MARS - DAY

"Johanssen, constant communication is the hallmark of a-" Mark began.

"Shut 'em off," Lewis ordered.

Click. Mark and Martinez' radios went silent.

As Lewis worked, Mark threw up his arms in the background, like 'Hey! C'mon!'

"I apologize for my countrymen, Vogel," Lewis said.