}23{ - Death's a Poison

Every cell in her body wanted her to dig into the stew and cram it, handful by handful into her mouth. But Peeta's voice stopped her, "We better take it slow on that stew."

"You're right. I wish I could just inhale the whole thing." Livia said regretfully.

But she didn't.

They were quite sensible.

They each had a roll, half an apple, and an egg-size serving of stew and rice.

Livia made herself eat the stew in tiny spoonfuls- they even sent us silverware and plates- savoring each bite.

When they finished, Livia stared longingly at the dish, "I want more."

"Me, too. Tell you what. We wait an hour, if it stays down, then we get another serving." Peeta suggested

"Agreed", Livia huffed, "It's going to be a long hour."

"Maybe not that long" Peeta jeered, "What was that you were saying just before the food arrived? Something about me. No competition. Best thing that ever happened to you."

"I don't remember that last part." Livia scoffed, hoping it was too dim in there for the cameras to pick up her blush.

"Oh, that's right. That's what I was thinking", He said, "Scoot over, I'm freezing."

Livia made room for him in the sleeping bag.

They leant back against the cave wall, Livia's head on his shoulder, his arms wrapped around her.

"You never even noticed any other girls?" Livia wondered.

"No, I noticed just about every girl, but none of them made a lasting impression but you." He explained.

"I'm sure that would thrill your parents, you liking a career." Livia sighed.

"Hardly. But I couldn't care less." Peeta huffed.

"Do you wonder what it'll be like to win?" Livia muttered in the fall of silence, "Living in the victors village and all."

Peeta chuckled, "Yeah, Haymitch would be my only neighbor."

"Ah, that'll be nice", Livia joked as Peeta tightened his arms around her, "You and Haymitch. Very cozy. Picnics, birthdays, long winter nights around the fire retelling old Hunger Games' tales."

"Sounds like a blast." Peeta said sarcastically.

"Yeah, I don't think people in general are his sort of thing." Livia snickered.

She knew the audience would enjoy their having fun at Haymitch's expense.

He had been around so long, he was practically an old friend to some of them.

And after his head-dive off the stage at the reaping, everybody knew him.

By this time, they would have dragged him out of the control room for interview about Peeta.

No telling what sort of lies he had made up.

He was at something of a disadvantage because most mentors had a partner, another victor to help them whereas Haymitch had to be ready to go into action at any moment.