}27{ - Past & Future

The anthem boomed in her ears, and then she heard Caesar Flickerman greeting the audience.

Did he know how crucial it was to get every word right from now on?

He must.

He would want to help them.

The crowd broke into applause as the prep teams were presented.

Livia imagined Flavius, Venia, and Octavia bouncing around and taking ridiculous, bobbing bows.

It was a safe bet they were clueless.

Then Effie was introduced.

Portia and Cinna received huge cheers, of course, they had been brilliant- had a dazzling debut.

Livia now understood Cinna's choice of dress for her for tonight.

She would need to look as girlish and innocent as possible.

Haymitch's appearance brought a round of stomping that went on at least five minutes.

Well, he had accomplished a first.

Keeping not only one but two tributes alive.

What if he hadn't warned Livia in time?

Would she have acted differently?

Flaunted the moment with the berries in the Capitol's face?

No, she didn't think so.

And then she could feel the plate lifting her up to the stage.

Blinding lights.

The deafening roar rattled the metal under her feet.

Then there was Peeta just a few yards away.

He looked so clean and healthy and beautiful, Livia could hardly recognize him.

But his smile was the same whether in mud or in the Capitol and when she saw it, she took about three steps and flung herself into his arms.

He staggered back, almost losing his balance, and that was when Livia realized the slim, metal contraption in his hand was some kind of cane.

He righted himself and they just clung to each other while the audience went insane.

He was kissing Livia and all the time she was thinking-

Do you know?

Do you know how much danger we're in?

After about ten minutes of this, Caesar Flickerman taped on Peeta's shoulder to continue the show, and Peeta just pushed him aside without even glancing at him.

The audience went berserk.

Livia felt overall ethereal in the intimate closeness with Peeta- that she had never imagined, but had always craved.

Finally, Haymitch interrupted them and gave them a good-natured shove toward the victor's chair.

Usually, it was a single, ornate chair from which the winning tribute watched a film of the highlights of the Games, but since there were two of them, the Gamemakers had provided a plush red velvet couch.