|| Chapter 1 ||

As I walked the school halls with Gracey, her pace starts speeding up. Hands moving extravagantly as if she were conducting an extremely difficult symphony. Great. Another story about Percy. This time, it was because of the way he looked at her. Yesterday it was because of his political views.

" I cannot believe he had the audacity to glare at me", she says while enunciating every word, "as if he has any reason to be upset at me, all I did was trash talk him a little; but at least I did it to his face".

I nod solemnly to my best friend, which makes her eyes light up with passion as she drones on about his despicable actions. How did we go from building fairy houses and shit, to regularly talking about this newfound enemy. I don't even know him, but I might as well.

"Gracey your becoming a little obsessed", I tease.

She shoots me her don't start with me glare. "He's the one that's obsessed, not me, he's an idiot for making me mad".

She's right, it's a bit frightening when your on her bad side. We walk out of the high school and onto campus now that classes are over, and spot Dom waiting for the bus. Gracey's eyes light up and she tugs on my backpack strings, dragging me towards him.

"Hey Dom" she says, voice coated in honey.

He turns around and plasters a lazy smile on his face, ruffling his too perfect hair. "Hey guys, I was about to text the group chat, there's a Christmas part at my house on the 26th and I was planning on inviting you guys and the group; can you make it"?

Gracey's lip juts out slightly when Dom references the group, meaning his friends, which includes Percy.

"Of course Dom, we'll be there" she exclaims, not even looking at me to confirm my availability.

I roll my eyes. "Your layering it on real thick", I whisper. She gasps and pinches my wrist discreetly.

"Claude is an amazing baker, I bet she'd be happy to cater a little bit too" Gracey says, obviously fed up with my remarks. I turn and look at her with a glance that only a best friend can decipher as annoyance.

"Well actually I really don't have the time".

"But it would be so great if you could, I've never tried your baking, I best it is amazing. Please", he exclaims carrying out the word with his hands clasped together.

"Sure". I say,with narrowed eyes. Why do I have to be such a people pleaser, if I could have an inch of the backbone that Gracey has...

"Yes", they exclaim eagerly like the sugar deprived little gremlins that they are.

I see my bus pull up and wave goodbye to them. Another day, another regret.

The bus arrives at my street -the last stop - after a while. My back aches from my backpacks weight as I start to climb up the hill heading to my house. I check to see if my dads car is in the drive way and sigh with relief when it isn't. I go inside and am met with my mom and brother. They speak excitedly to each other without even realizing that I entered to house. When they do, my mom rushed over to me, her face exuding happiness.

"We found a couch", she exclaims grasping my hands in hers. "And guess what, it was free. Our favorite word isn't it great?"

I match her energy and squeal. My mom is finally prioritizing her happiness, and I love it. She's renting out a little apartment, and scouring Facebook marketplace for any free furniture. The house has been looking amazing. All she needs to find is a low budget kitchen and dinner table. She can't handle the toxicity that my dad exudes, and frankly neither can I. It's a weird situation because they aren't getting a divorce. She still feels obligated to support him through his mental health issues. She just needs space.

"Were almost there mom. Almost there."

She nods and kisses my forehead. "It's looking amazing".

She walks to the office, swaying her hips excitedly, and I walk to my room, mood automatically brightened.

That is until I hear the door slam shut.