17: Two broken men

And I just wanna tell you
It takes everything in me not to call you
And I wish I could run to you
And I hope you know that every time I don't
I almost do

- I almost do, Taylor Swift

...

It was the first time he got rejected.

Romanov could still remember how Espe answered no to his question signifying that there would be no future of them being lovers, at all.

Just one glance he could see the awkward expression of Espe whom she thought she hid well.

"Just take your time and reconsider, please" he begs her and left her on her own at that point.

He just pushed harder on training for almost a week until the game started; till his typical week turns regular and with that, the familiar ache of his body rushes to him like a truck.

"Did you consume all of the energy drink in our place? Sheesh!" His friend, Marcus, huff's behind him with his curly locks all hidden with a bandana on his head.

Romanov shrugged his friend's statement and went into another round of practice. "Okay everyone, another round and we'll leave this field"

"We don't want anymore!"

"Coach takes this training maniac away from us!"

Their coach, Dean Alberts shooed them away to practice more and went to Romanov's side, the star of their team.

"I expect good results from all this work, Roman" his tone gruff as he put his hands on his shoulder and gripped it.

"Thank you coach" he huffs before collecting his breath and another round of torture went till 7 in the evening and soon they're departed.

Marcus chugged on his ginormous bottle of water, splashes of it made contact with his dark brown skin, and then placed it on his bag after emptying it.

"Still unseen, huh?"

He fished out his phone in his bag, the messages he left for Trinity were still unseen and it has been a week and more since she went to he parents' place.

It's as if she disappeared in the face of the earth, vanishing without traces.

"What are you muttering about?"

"Good lord! Want me to drop dead here in shock, sheesh!" His hand was on his heart after being shocked at the silent appearance of his mushroom friend. "And to answer your question, it's nothing, just the usual"

He bit his lips as he contemplate something and just decided to get into it.

"You think Trinity still loves me? Do you think I treated her the way a lover should?"

It has bugged his mind for a long time since it wasn't the first time that he and Trinity went on and off in their relationship.

"You did man, you treated her like a queen, don't ever doubt yourself" his best friend, Romanov replied but it still couldn't stop the doubts in his head.

He and Trinity have been together since high school and were dubbed as the pair of the golden couple; high school sweethearts and couples that stayed together for such a long time.

If it weren't for her choice to further her studies they would be married now but he didn't stop her. He supported her all the way to her career as it blossoms but now, he wasn't so sure that she could do that to his career.