Ch 11. House Date

Sebastian's POV
Sebastian groaned in response to the knocking on his door. It was too early to get up, let alone talk to people. When the knocker walked in Sebastian was unsurprised to see his mother standing in the doorway. Sebastian scowled at her but his mother paid him no mind as she walked over and took a seat on his couch.
"Why are you here?" He asked in a grumpy voice. Robin smiled
"Well, I was just wondering if you wanted to come to help me on my next job." Sebastian stared at her dumbly. He was a little handy, sure, but that was mostly for working on his bike. He had no interest in carpentry and was very confused why his mother had bothered asking.
"No? Why would I?" He spat and Robin shrugged before relaxing into the couch.
"I don't know, I just thought maybe you'd like to spend some quality time with your mother." Sebastian glared at her skeptically. She looked like she was teasing him, but what about he couldn't tell. "I guess I can handle a house upgrade by myself." Robin moved to get up. A realization came to Sebastian and he was annoyed it had taken him so long to figure out his mom's game. Robin had made her way to the door when Sebastian spoke.
"Are you upgrading Y/N's house?" He asked Flatley. Robin turned around slowly with a sly smile on her lips which aggravated Sebastian to no end.
"Yeah! She came by about an hour ago and gave me everything I'll need. Such a cute girl! Very hardworking to have gotten all this together so fast. Shame you don't want to spend any time with your poor old mom…" Sebastian raged silently. His mom loved to tease him so she wanted to force him to ask to come along now. Sebastian sighed defeated
"Can I come with I actually changed my mind.." his mother grinned before she changed her expression to one of sarcastic confusion.
"Well you don't want to spend any time with me, so why do you want to come along?" Sebastian rolled his eyes debating if seeing Y/N was worth being around his mother for a whole day.
"Y/N is my friend, and I haven't seen her for a while since she's been working on getting money for her house," Sebastian answered carefully. He suspected Robin liked Y/N and was trying to figure out what Sebastian thought of her. He didn't lie, he just gave a vague answer. His mother was clearly unsatisfied 
"Oh, you're friends? How did you guys meet?" Sebastian shrugged casually 
"Just at the saloon on a Friday." Sebastian decided his mother being nosey was far more annoying than just telling her what she wanted to know.
"And you guys just hit it off? Usually, you're bristly with new people." Robin leaned on the door frame. He gave up on winning his mom's game and answered without withholding the details.
"I mean I stayed back at first like I always do. She bought us all drinks and after I beat Sam in a game of pool Sam asked me for a rematch. I told him no and Y/N offered to play with him. Y/N beat Sam and we played a game together. She actually almost beat me, but it's just because I hadn't been going all out." Sebastian's expression had turned to a smile as he spoke without him realizing it. When he looked at his mom she had a warm smile.
"Well, I suppose you should come along to see your friend. I'll be waking you up earlier tomorrow." Sebastian was surprised but grateful his mom didn't ask anything else before striding out of his room. He flopped back on his bed, he had been up late last night programming so he wouldn't have to today. Sebastian sighed, sat up, and stretched his limbs. He supposed he should do tomorrow's work today. Although it annoyed him to have his plans displaced, he was excited to see Y/N. The past couple of weeks Sebastian had found himself outside wandering around town more than he ever had before. He told himself that it was just because it's nice to walk around while he smoked instead of just standing by the lake, but he knew it was because he had hoped to see Y/N around town. She often left the farm to find things she couldn't on the farm, but Sebastian had been unlucky in crossing paths with her. In all the time he wandered the valley he hadn't run into Y/N once. All his failed attempts to see her made him all the more excited to see her. He liked the way he felt around her, it was exciting. Sebastian thought nothing would surprise him anymore, but Y/N seemed to do it whenever she was around. Sebastian had expected the new farmer coming to town to be a man anywhere from 20-40, but to his surprise, it was a young woman around his own age. He had expected her to be an amateur pool player, but she surprised him by beating Sam and almost beating himself. Sebastian had thought Y/N would have a mind like Sam's, but he surprised her by sharing thoughts that were much like his own. As much as Sebastian knew he liked Y/N he didn't want to really do anything about it. If he made a move and creeped her out then that might be it for their relationship. Sebastian didn't want to stop hanging out with her so he decided it would be safest to just be friends. If by some miracle she asked him out of course he'd accept, maybe if it was undeniably clear that she liked him Sebastian could make a move. Sebastian doubted anything short of Y/N asking him could do that. He decided he should stop thinking about these things and get to work. 
Sebastian finished his work around six o'clock. He ate dinner and watched some anime for a few hours after. He had tried to go to sleep early, but he couldn't fall asleep until 2 am because his body was so used to staying up late. When his mother woke him up at 7 am Sebastian was not ready for a day of physical labor.
"Go hop in the shower and I'll put on a pot of coffee. I told you I'd be getting you up early. Why didn't you go to sleep?" Sebastian sighed, not yet awake enough to be annoyed.
"I tried." He stood and stretched. Satisfied he was awake his mom left and left to finish packing her tools. Sebastian took a quick shower and got dressed in his usual ensemble. He walked to the kitchen where his mom sat at the table with two cups of coffee. Sebastian took a seat and his mom pushed a cup across the table towards him. He sipped the warm drink and decided to make himself some toast. He ate and drank his coffee while his mom sat across from him sipping her coffee and reading the newspaper. When they had both finished their drinks his mom looked him up and down until she frowned and said
"You should bring some more coffee with us. You still look like a zombie." Sebastian nodded and poured some coffee into a travel coffee mug. With his coffee and all his mom's tools in hand, they made their way to Y/N's farm. He had seen the farm right at the end of spring and knew that Y/N had made room for a lot of plants. However seeing the once empty field chock-full of plants and scarecrows was incredible, and amidst the crops, Y/N stood watering plants. She was in some jean shorts and a loose white blouse. Sebastian noticed that her lips were curved into a small smile as she watered her plants. At that moment he thought that she looked beautiful, in her element. Robin elbowed his side and before Sebastian could turn to face her she waved down Y/N. 
Y/N's POV
Y/N looked up from the plants and saw Robin waving to her standing near the shipment box. Y/N smiled and waved in return before she noticed Robin's son was with her. Although confused she continued smiling and made her way over to them.
"I knew you had to have a decent farm to afford a house upgrade, but I never expected to see this! This is amazing Y/N!" Robin exclaimed. Once Y/N took her place beside Robin, Robin clapped Y/N on the back hard enough to displace Y/N's footing. Sebastian moved forward ready to catch Y/N, but she regained her footing. Y/N watched Sebastian relax back into his stance. He looked very tired, he had dark circles under his eyes and looked more pale than usual. Y/N turned to face Robin
"Yeah, I really put my nose to the grindstone for this." She grinned and rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. Her gaze drifted back to the tired emo boy. She had been so busy with her farm she had almost forgotten how she felt around Sebastian. Her heart raced at the thought of spending the day with Sebastian. He noticed her staring and gave her a small smile.
"It's nice to see you." His voice was gravely, lower than usual. Y/N supposed this was how he sounded in the morning before the sleepiness that lingered after waking up faded. Y/N thought it was hot. She blushed because of his smile and kind words. 
"It's good to see you too. Are you feeling alright? You look like you had a rough night." Sebastian shrugged
"I'm fine, I just couldn't fall asleep last night." Y/N's expression became worried, but she just nodded. Robin clapped her hands together.
"Well, we have a lot of work to do! Why don't we get started? You and Sebastian can cut some boards while I take some measurements." Robin explained the length she wanted the wood cut and took her tape measure to various places around the house. Y/N and Sebastian had their own tables to cut their planks of wood as well as their own saws. They worked in silence and Y/N occasionally glanced up at him to watch him work. Y/n had thought Sebastian would be out of his element with carpentry, but he operated like someone who knows what they're doing. Y/N wasn't out of her element, but she was definitely an amateur carpenter. The only knowledge she had was that which she learned in the woodshop class she had taken as an elective in high school. Since that had been so brief and long ago she barely remembered any of it. When Y/N glanced at Sebastian again she saw him staring at her with a look of discontentment. Y/N gave him a look of confusion in return. "You should cut it like this." He then proceeded to saw through the wood with ease, then looked at Y/N expectantly. Y/N had not noticed anything, in particular, he was doing differently, he just seemed to be faster as far as she could tell. So Y/N tried to cut the wood faster this time. Almost as soon as she started Sebastian shook his head and laid his saw down on his table. He walked over to Y/N and stood close behind her. He put his right hand on hers and his left on her shoulder.
"You're pushing on the wood too hard." He guided Y/N's arm in the proper motion. "You should just let the saw do the work for the most part." Y/N was blushing furiously and was very glad Sebastian couldn't see her face from where he stood. She calmed herself and paid attention to what he was showing her. A moment later she nodded
"I think I get it now." Sebastian stood back and watched Y/N efficiently saw through a board of wood. He gave her an approving smile and walked back over to his table and they continued working. Soon after they finished sawing their piles of wood Robin approached them.
"Okay I have my measurements and you guys have chopped up the wood so let's start renovating!" Robin had Y/N and Sebastian build some walls, she did the same but alone. Y/N was impressed that Robin could not only keep up with her and Sebastian working together like, but she was also faster! Wanting to actually talk to Sebastian rather than settle for spending time with him Y/N asked
"So what have you been up to while I was busy here?" Sebastian hesitated for a few moments seemingly unsure how to reply.
"I just did what I usually do. Watched anime, worked, smoked. I guess I did a lot of wandering too."
"Why were you wandering around town?" Y/N asked curious about the unhabitual activity. 
"I just got sick of staring at the lake while I smoke, so I decided to walk around town." He answered quickly. Y/N smiled and gave him a nod
"Yeah I get that, it's another reason I love the farm so much. Lots of space to wander and look at things." They continued through the day with Robin giving them instructions and Sebastian showing Y/N how to help him do what Robin asked. When the sun started to set Robin decided they should call it a day.
"Usually this kind of thing takes me three days, but since you guys helped me out I can probably finish everything up tomorrow." Robin smiled at them before continuing " Now since you still don't have a kitchen why don't you come over for dinner Y/N?" Y/N's eyes widened in surprise and she waved her hands dismissively 
"Oh, I couldn't! You're doing so much for me already I wouldn't want to ask any more of you." Y/N didn't want Robin to go out of her way for her. Robin laughed
"Nonsense! We'd love to have you over! Demetrius is making fiddlehead risotto tonight so there's plenty to go around. Right, Sebastian?" Robin looked at her son who was flustered to be put in the spot like that.
"It would be nice to have some company." He answered quietly. Y/N felt her heart jump at the words. Since spending more time with Sebastian was never a bad thing Y/N relented.
"If I'm not being a bother I'd love to." With that, the group made their way to Robin's house. When they entered Y/N could smell the food and she felt her hunger suddenly intensify. Robin led the way through a long hallway that led to the kitchen. She stood at the edge of the kitchen and inhaled deeply through her nose.
"Looks like we were right on time! Go ahead and take a seat. Demetrius sat at the far end of the table and Maru sat in the chair to his right. Sebastian took a seat across from Maru and Y/N sat beside him. Robin brought a hot pot from the stove to the center of the table setting it on top of an oven mitt. Robin started to move to take her seat but apparently changed her mind walking over to the cabinet. She brought over a bottle of wine and some wine glasses for everyone. As Robin poured the wine into the glasses everyone else grabbed their food. After Demetrius filled his bowl he smiled and looked at Y/N
"So miss Y/N, how are you liking the valley so far?" 
"I love it here! The air is fresh, the people are nice, and every day is different."
"I'm glad to hear that. I'll be honest I was a little worried when I saw the new farmer was a young lady from the city, but clearly, my worries were unfounded." Y/N might have been offended if Demetrius had really meant anything by it, but he appeared genuinely relieved not condescending. 
"Why were you worried?" She probed. He sighed and gave a small Shrug
"Well, it's easy to be overwhelmed by big tasks and give up. Building up a farm from nothing is hard work, I don't think I could do it myself honestly." 
"Yeah it is a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it." Y/N sampled her food, to her surprise it was really delicious, and the wine paired with the food very nicely. "This is delicious! When I tried this before it was kind of bland, but this is really good."
"The trick is to use a lot more seasoning than the recipe calls for." Y/N would ask Demetrius for his version of the recipe later. Maru, Robin, and Demetrius chatted with each other, and Y/N couldn't find a way to insert herself so she and Sebastian just sat quietly and ate their food. When Y/N had finished her food and glass of wine sitting at the table felt increasingly awkward. Y/N started fidgeting uncomfortably until she looked at Sebastian, he was staring at her. Once he saw she was looking his way he nodded his head in the direction of the hallway and raised his eyebrows silently asking if she wanted to leave. Y/N gave a small nod and Sebastian stood and walked toward the hallway. Y/N stood to follow him and then everyone at the table looked at both of them.
"Where are you guys going?" Robin asked before taking a sip of her wine staring at Sebastian.
"We were just uhhh" He paused for a long time
"Sebastian was just going to show me something" Y/N blurted, unable to bear the awkward silence any longer.
"Yeah, I was going to show you... That thing yes." Sebastian's lack of talent for lying was endearing, but also painful to watch.
"Thank you for dinner, it was tasty." Y/N said before she ducked around the corner of the hallway out of their sight. Y/N tried to shake off the tense feeling left from the situation, Sebastian walked around the corner and sighed.
"Well, I totally fucked that up." He gave a half-hearted laugh and shoved his hands deep in his pockets. "At least we're free now, not trapped in there with my family." Y/N nodded then turned to face Sebastian.
"Sooo" She stepped closer to him and leaned toward him. "What exactly did you want to show me?" Y/N gave him a soft smile, and he smiled back.
"Well, there are lots of things I could show you in my room." He said it like it was a question. Y/N broadened her smile.
"Lead the way." So Sebastian led her down the hall to a short stairway and through his bedroom door. He opened it for her, let her step in, then closed it behind them. The room looked exactly how she expected it to, dark and nerdy. Directly in front of her Y/N could see a Solarian chronicles game set up on a low table with some stools to her left there was a couch with an end table in the side closest to her and a computer desk on the far side of the couch. In the back corner of the room sat Sebastian's bed with a black blanket on top. Y/N also noticed a bookshelf with various Manga and comics. Y/N took a seat on the couch and Sebastian spread his arms out
"Well, welcome to my hole. It's nice enough I guess."
"It's nice to have a room in the basement when it gets hot outside. It's always a little cooler."
"Yeah, and I don't need curtains to keep the sun out." He hesitated for a moment. " It still feels like a hole though." He muttered. Without missing a beat Y/N asked in a cheery voice
"Well, why don't you show me around?" He smiled at her and then walked over to his bookshelf. 
"Behold my wonderous collection." He spoke the grand words in a calm sarcastic tone as he gestured at the comics and Manga. Y/N gave a nod of appreciation 
"Well do you have a favorite?" Sebastian took a moment to look at the shelf before he pulled two Manga from it and sat on the couch beside Y/N. He held up one Manga
"Well this is the first one in my favorite series" He handed it to her then lifted the other one. "But this is my favorite in the series. It actually has an anime now. They did a really good job with it." Y/N looked over at his computer
"Could we watch it?" Sebastian looked slightly surprised at the question but after a moment he smiled lightly.
"Yeah for sure just gimmie a minute." He sat at his computer and pulled up the anime from the same illegal site Y/N used. Then he turned his monitor so the screen was facing his bed. He brought his mouse with him when he moved to sit in the bed. He was sitting up against his headboard close to the wall. Y/N moved to sit next to him and they watched the anime. Sebastian told her it's called Jujutsu kaizen, and it's a shonan about people fighting curses. They sometimes talked about the show, Y/N would ask Sebastian questions, and occasionally yell at the characters. Y/N was hooked after the first episode by the wonderful characters and utterly thrilling fight scenes. So they watched another episode, and then another, and another. As the intro was playing Y/N asked
"So who's your favorite character?" 
"Fushigiro." Sebastian answered without hesitation. Y/N was surprised he picked someone so similar to himself, but people like people they can relate to. "What about you?" Y/N put her hand on her chin thinking hard for a moment.
"I gotta go with Gojo man. He's just awesome and hilarious." Sebastian nodded respectfully. They continued watching until Y/N's eyes began to droop.
"You think it's time for me to take you home?" Sebastian asked, causing Y/N to open her eyes wide.
"One more episode." Sebastian looked at her doubtfully
"It's almost 2 am.." Y/N pouted until Sebastian relented and put in the next episode. Not even ten minutes in Y/N fell asleep. She slumped and leaned on Sebastian who looked at her and sighed longingly. He stroked her hair and laid down properly in the bed. His movement caused Y/N to stir enough to readjust how she was laying. She laid on Sebastian's shoulder and her leg rested on top of him. Sebastian liked how much this made them look like a couple. He was worried she might freak out when he woke up, but he didn't want this feeling of being so close to her to go away. Tomorrow be damned. This feels right. He wrapped an arm around her, put the other behind his head, and went to sleep.