Edelweiss (A Short Songfic)

Written in: July 16th 2020
Word count: 1063 words

(lol this was actually my first short story that I wrote in my yeet book. it's still staying there by the way.)

~☆♡☆~

ᴇᴅᴇʟᴡᴇɪꜱꜱ, ᴇᴅᴇʟᴡᴇɪꜱꜱ

Days and days flying past, and yet still no sign of the small snow blossom I was looking for.

Everything around me was snow. Just snow.

Even if there was something in the white snowy ground below my winter boots, I wouldn't be able to tell.

After all, they did warn everyone who traveled up into the Swiss Alps to beware.

Looking around me to make sure that there were no cliffs for me to fall off from, I continued forwards.

I was on a mission. A personal mission.

And I was not going to fail.

ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ɢʀᴇᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ

It was as if the cold winter was expecting my arrival.

Of course, that was what I was supposed to expect. It is the Swiss Alps after all.

But nothing prepared me for blizzard that met me up on the mountains.

Snow and ice crystals being blown against me by the wind. I held my hands up in front of me, looking away from all the snowflakes that seemed to be crashing into my face.

All the snow and ice stuck to the lenses of my glasses. I took them off, holding them in one hand while trying to brave through the blizzard with the other.

ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜɪᴛᴇ, ᴄʟᴇᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ʙʀɪɢʜᴛ

White.

Everything was white.

From the snow on the ground, to the view all around, and maybe even the unsuspecting edelweiss blossoms that could be hiding in the thick blankets of ice and frost.

They say that not everyone came back.

They say that only the men with the purest hearts could retrieve the edelweiss flower and bring it back to their adored ones.

I had seen one before. It was a small, white flower with fuzzy petals. It may not have seemed like much, but it was a symbol of courage, bravery, and most importantly, love.

Which was why I was so desperate to bring one back.

ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ

She was not happy to hear what I had to say.

I still remember her face. Her long blonde hair tied up in a single braid. Her icy blue-green eyes. The green dress that she'd always wear, despite the dirt and dust she'd get on it.

From the moment I laid my eyes on her, I knew that she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen.

But she was cold and reserved, rather like the mountains I was hiking.