Chapter 5

Time passed by quicker than the tribrid and the tour guide had ever expected it to as they spent time together. Suddenly, it was the last day of the two weeks she had promised Landon that she would spend with him. Over the course of the two weeks, the two talked at school and hung out whenever Landon did not have work. He had even come over to study with her so he could spend time with her while working on his class work. He had wanted to take advantage of as much time as he could possibly get from her. After all, he wasn't sure how she would react once her two weeks were over.

He knew that she cared about him a lot. That wasn't a question at this point, even if he didn't know why she cared about him so much. All that mattered was that she did. However, part of him was still a little worried that she would throw away all of the enjoyment they spent together once the deal was up to ensure his safety of some fake curse about everyone getting close to her dying. It was obvious she believed it. But no one was cursed to always lose people, no matter how much their life sucked.

Landon never felt like he had much to look forward to. He just moved from foster family in the area to another foster family in the area. He had seen the difference of how people treat people in public vs private. He had been abused and neglected his whole life and told he was worthless. And he always wished it wasn't true but ended up believing it all after so long. And he always felt like the other shoe would drop whenever something good came. Like some force haunting him to make his life even more of a nightmare after giving him some hope.

And then he met Hope. And despite his own defenses, he couldnt help but instantly be interested in her and wanting to learn more about her. Despite his own self warnings about the other shoe as he waited for it to all collapse. And he knew she had the same defenses, same fears of it all to get messed up. But hers was about him ending up dying on her while he was afraid people would continue to disappoint as they always seemed to.

But they had both managed to get past their own individual traumas during the two weeks and purely just enjoy each other's company. They both had fun watching Star Wars sometimes and ordering pizza whenever they were studying at her mansion. She had kept her promise of two weeks. But now Landon was worried about the final day. She had loosened up her fears and let herself enjoy this but if it struck up again, she could push him away, despite everything that had happened between them. And Landon was suddenly afraid for the first time in two weeks that the other shoe would indeed drop. That it would all come crumbling down.

"Hey" Hope greeted, coming up from behind Landon, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Hey" Landon greeted her with a smile, his worries easing up as he turned to face her. "So I was thinking we could hang out tonight after my shift? I only work a couple of hours today and then we can maybe watch another movie?"

"You dont have any school work due tomorrow?" Hope questioned, looking at him.

"None that I dont already have finished" Landon might have decided to stay up all night doing as much homework as he possibly could so he could get more time with Hope. Just in case the other shoe decided to drop and especially if it didn't. He wanted to enjoy time with her.

"Well, in that case, sure. I'll head to the Grill after school until you're done with your shift. And then we can go to my place" Hope said with a smile

Landon smiled back at her warmly, glad the last day seemed to be going so well. It gave him some hope for the future of them spending time together, even if it would not be in a romantic sense like Landon wanted it to be. After all, just being friends with Hope Marshall seemed like something extraordinary and too good to be true. But it wasn't.

She actually wanted to spend time with him and enjoyed watching his movies that she never would have considered watching otherwise. And the mere thought of that was enough to make him feel happy, no matter how this turned out. Even if she decided to drop the other shoe and leave, he would treasure the memories he had with her. Always. She had already left some unexplainable mark on his life and was the best person he had ever met, though considering he had grown up surrounded by assholes, that didn't say much. But it was still true.