Chapter 16: Dinner

Jessa escorted Sabrina through the twisting hallways, many of which were paneled with the same dark wood as the outside of the building. Sabrina was surprised not to encounter any Helferin or other enchanted helpers, but it was possible the walls and floors were spelled to repel dust and remain clean without the need for scrubbing or mopping, or perhaps the members of the Coven were responsible for the cleaning and divided the tasks amongst themselves.

While she could sense Warren carrying her bags behind her, at least he remained quiet, as it would have been awkward to try and talk to him over her shoulder while walking beside his mother.

At last they reached a door painted a cheerful red, which Jessa opened before gesturing for Sabrina and Warren to follow her inside.

Once in the room, Warren busied himself with arranging Sabrina's bags on a low bench near the bed while Jessa showed her the attached bathroom, where a clawfoot bathtub was already filling with hot water. Judging by the various knobs, this coven obtained hot water the same way the Hexen did, piping it up from underground hot springs rather than using spells.

The bedroom itself was cozy and inviting, featuring a large pine-frame bed covered in a colorful patchwork quilt. There was a wardrobe for storing clothes, a table and high-backed chair for writing, and an armchair positioned in front of a small brick fireplace for more relaxed reading. There was also a door that led out onto a balcony, and Sabrina marveled at the blues and blacks of the night sky as the first stars of the evening made their twinkling appearances.

"There's absolutely no rush," Jessa assured Sabrina. "Take as long as you like to clean up. When you're done, simply tap the mirror in the vanity. I have an affinity for glass," she explained. "When you touch the mirror and speak, I'll be able to hear you, no matter where I am in the castle. I'll come get you and bring you to dinner."

"I'm more than happy to escort Sabrina to dinner," offered Warren.

"Oh, I don't want to be any trouble," Sabrina protested, but Jessa waved her concerns away.

"Once you're ready, either Warren or I will come and show you to dinner," she said, not entirely succeeding in fighting down the smile that tugged at the corners of her mouth.

Sabrina nodded and thanked Jessa and Warren before closing the door behind them. Leaning back against the painted wood, she sighed, thoroughly suspecting Warren might sit outside in the hallway simply to be the one closest by when she was ready for dinner. It couldn't be helped, though, and so she turned her attention to the bathtub, inhaling the steam rising from the lemon-scented water.

After bathing, Sabrina hung her clothes in the wardrobe, selecting a deep burgundy dress for dinner. It felt odd to be back in a dress after wearing breeches all day, and as she studied herself in the mirror, she realized there was no one present to make her wear the dress. If she wanted to put on pants again, no one would tell her otherwise...then again, word of her chosen dinner-wear might make its way back to her mother, and she didn't want her to regret sending Sabrina as an emissary.

Scowling, Sabrina ran her hands over the bodice of the dress. Here she was, miles away from her mother, and she still wasn't free to make her own choices.

Rather than dwelling on such a dismal truth, she walked over to the vanity and pressed the tip of her finger against the mirror.

"I'm ready for dinner whenever it's convenient to collect me," she said, feeling slightly silly speaking into a mirror but also admiring Jessa's cleverness at using her affinity in such a manner. A few seconds later, a voice floated out from the glass.

"Wonderful!" said Jessa, and Sabrina wondered where in the castle she was. "I'll come and...what? Oh, how nice, thank you, dear," she said, clearly speaking to someone else.