Chapter 37: Preparing to Leave

Lifting her head, Sabrina turned her gaze once more to the forest below, part of her expecting it to have changed after the events of the last few minutes. But there it stood, solemn, dark, and imposing as ever...only now instead of being forbidden, it was waiting, waiting expectantly for her.

Resolve flowed through her limbs, renewing her strength and driving her to her feet. Grabbing a large wooden crate from a corner of the room, she methodically began packing up her research. She placed notebook after notebook into the crate, leaving out only the one she was currently using and hadn't yet filled; that one she slipped into her apron pocket.

If she returned from the Schwarzwald, her research would be here waiting for her. And if she didn't return, well, then perhaps someone else would eventually discover it and pick up where she'd left off.

For just a moment, Sabrina let her mind wander, imagining herself like the other Hexen, spending the rest of her life in the castle and having a daughter of her own who shared her metal affinity, the two of them working together as she and her own mother never had. She pictured them laughing at something, envisioned herself hugging her daughter as she made a particularly fascinating discovery, showering her with the praise she herself had never received from the parent she'd spent most of her life with.

Before such a future could take root in her mind, though, Sabrina firmly pushed the images away. While pleasant to think about, they would be no more than that...a passing daydream that could have been nice in another life. In this one, she had more pressing concerns, such as preparing for her upcoming journey.

With a start, Sabrina realized she was living out the third future Heloise had seen for her. She was leaving the castle and going into the Schwarzwald. After her last interaction with the Waldkonig, it was at least conceivable he was the one Sabrina had been referring to when the Seer had overhead her say, "We did it."

Shaking her head at the turn of events that were still extraordinary even though they'd been foreseen, Sabrina secured the lid onto the crate before hefting it into her arms and striding towards the door. Before she left, she turned and gazed at her workspace one final time.

"Thank you for everything," she said. "I've loved every second I spent here."

Stepping into the hallway and allowing the heavy door to close behind her, Sabrina walked with resolute steps, sconces flaring to life as she neared them, then darkening again as she strode past. The late hour meant she didn't encounter anyone in the hallways, and her steps were fast and sure over the flagstone floor.

She took the stairs she encountered two at a time and when she finally reached the library, she let out a sigh of relief—Tante Winola sat behind the borrowing desk, her attention fixed on the pages of a book. Sabrina came to an abrupt stop in front of her, causing the librarian to glance up in surprise, and her dark eyes fastened on the wooden crate before making their way to Sabrina's face.

"Well, good evening, Sabrina," said Tante Winola, offering a smile before setting aside her book. Adjusting the ever-present pince-nez resting on her nose, she smiled. "What can I do for you?"

"May I speak with you in private?" asked Sabrina.

"Of course." Tante Winola rose to her feet and beckoned for Sabrina to follow, leading the way into a small room that held a table and two chairs.

Placing the crate on the table, Sabrina ran her fingers over the wood, not ready to let go of it just yet.

"I'd like to donate my research to the library," she said. "For safe-keeping."

Tante Winola blinked, then looked at the box before staring at Sabrina again, clearly waiting for further explanation. Sabrina desperately wished she could give it to the woman who had always championed her love of learning and her passion for books, but she forced the feeling down.