Chapter 3: "Interview"

Jungkook's pov

The next morning I woke up to my loud alarm clock going off. Today was the day of the interview.

As I get dressed into the outfit my mom brought, I try to tell myself, "maybe it won't be so bad."

It didn't work.

"Jungkook, breakfast!"

I slowly take my time going down each step and I could hear my moms humming become more clear. She's playing music as she sets out the breakfast foods.

I've had my suspicions lately (not that it matters) that's she's been talking to a new guy. Ever since my dad jetted off, she's talked to a few guys here and there—but I always seem to scare them off.

"Good morning, baby! You look nice! Ready for your interview?"

I avoid eye contact and just sat down. "Sure."

I could hear the excitement in her voice and she smiled at me as soon as she sat down.

"Baby, I have something I need to tell you. I'll admit I've been hiding it for some time now, but since he's coming over for dinner, I thought you should know."

I toss my fork down. "Know what..?"

She claps her hands in an excited motion. "I have a boyfriend! His name is Lee-Hungwoo. He's coming over for dinner like I said earlier!"

I knew it.

I didn't even know what to say to her other than, "what?"

"Yes!" She smiles. "He's super sweet and handsome...I'm sure you'll like him."

I roll my eyes. "Oh, whatever. You expect me to call him dad? Cause that's not gonna happen—ever."

She frowns. "Well, no. I don't expect you to do it immediately—"

"I'm not calling him that at all!!" I shout angrily.

My mom jumps back as I stand up.

"How long were you keeping this little fucking secret?!"

"Jungkook, please stop cursing and sit down! Listen to me..."

I interject again. "NO! I don't want that MAN in our house—"

She interrupts me this time. "Well I love him!"

There was a painful silence before she spoke. "I knew you would react like this and that's why I didn't tell you. We've been dating for about a year."

A year?

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Yes, Jungkook. A year."

Another silence. I was about to speak but she started before I could. "No, you're done. You're gonna let me talk now."

I roll my eyes and she stands up, walking past me. She reaches for the end table in the living room and grabs a tiny box out of the drawer. She brings it over to me and opens it.

Inside was an engagement ring.

Oh no.

"He...he..!" I couldn't even finish my sentence.

"Yes. And we're getting married."

She's been doing all of this...behind my back?