[𝟎𝟏𝟕] 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐍

chapter 17

chapter 17. 

awaken !

Lilith felt warm and had no perception of time or place. 

Lilith

A voice called out for her, but she wanted to stay wherever she was. 

Lilith!

The voice called out again. 

Slowly, the image faded away, and Lilith awoke to a blinding light, but a familiar figure standing near her. Keefe's smile was so wide, Lilith thought he would explode. 

"You're okay!" He exclaimed and sat on the edge of her bed. His voice softened. "I thought you were done for good, I went to your and Foster's funerals," He said, his smile changing into a frown. 

The door opened, and Elwin rushed in. "Where is she?" He demanded. "Open her mouth," He told Keefe. 

Lilith felt soft fingers open her mouth, and something sweet dribbled down her throat. 

"N-no sedatives," She whispered, but even that took too much energy from her.

"Don't worry, it's all okay. You're safe," Keefe whispered, looking concerned. His hand brushed her hair, and Lilith felt her eyelids droop. 

You're safe

---

She awoke once more, but more people surrounded her. 

"Sophie?" She whispered. 

"She's alright," A voice replied - Alden. "Thanks to you," 

Lilith relaxed a little bit. 

"Bullhorn sat by you for so long - we thought you had faded out completely," Elwin said, sitting right beside her. 

"Do you remember how you saved Sophie?" Alden asked softly. 

Lilith paused. "I, uh, not really, I just remember this weird feeling in my chest," She answered. 

Alden sighed. "Lilith, what you did was use Shadowflux to keep Sophie's particles from fading away in the light. Lilith, you're a, uh, shade," Alden said, resting a hand on her arm. 

Lilith paused. A shade? Her memories came flooding back, and she sat upright. 

"I- I remember! It was like darkness shot out of my chest! And- And the phrase- Omni luci est umbra," Lilith stated. 

Alden smiled. 

"We're glad that you're safe, and Sophie filled us in on most of the kidnapping details, but is there anything specific you want to add?" Alden asked. 

"Well, uh," Lilith hesitated. "They kept mentioning some Phoenix. They called me they're Phoenix," Lilith finished.

Alden paused, and his eyebrows furrowed. "I've never heard of that before, I'll look into that, Thank you, but we have another order from the council," He said, pausing.

"What?"

"You need a goblin bodyguard,"

Lilith stared at him, then snorted. "A bodyguard, really?" 

"Yes, Her name is Vale," Alden replied with a smile. "You'll meet her later," 

"Awesome," Lilith smiled. 

"Also, one more thing, the Council has decided to hold a tribunal, which will be held in a couple of weeks, is that alright? Or do you need more time?" Alden asked. 

"Uh, actually, can it be sooner?" Lilith requested. 

"If I'm gonna be exiled might as well make it be over as soon as possible," She thought.

"Of course," Alden replied. "I'll leave you to rest,"

Alden and Elwin left Lilith with her thoughts - thinking she would rest. But the constant reminders of the sedatives kept her awake. And, of course, the fact that she was a shade. 

But what worried her the most was how her future would be decided in a mere couple of days. Her heart pounded, but she pushed the thought out of her head. 

Everything is alright

---

Lilith stared at the gown laying in front of her. 

"A gown? Really?" She asked aloud to no one in particular. 

The gown was orange-red and had a full skirt. Lilith slipped it on and looked in the mirror. 

"Ew," She said, but kept it on. The Jerkins and pants looked so much more comfortable. 

She met Elwin downstairs, and they walked to the Leapmaster. 

"Scared?" He asked. 

"Absolutely petrified," Lilith replied but took a step into the beam of light.