[𝟎𝟏𝟖] 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐅𝐔𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄

chapter 18

chapter 18. 

our future !

The waving blue flag grew closer and closer with every step Lilith took towards the giant castle. Sophie met up with her, and they walked together. 

They sat inside, and the Council looked really intimidating. 

Sophie was called up first. 

"I'd rather be punished for making the right decision than living with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life," Sophie stated, and a murmur was heard across the room. Lilith smiled. 

Lilith stood up next. 

"I, uh, also have something to say," She announced. 

She looked the Council dead in the eye. 

"I have a quote from the Forbidden Cities, actually," She began, and Bronte rolled his eyes. 

"The world suffers a lot. But it's not from the violence of the bad people - it's from the silence of the good people. So if I get punished, then so be it. I will not be the one living with guilt and regret for the rest of my life," She stated confidently. She bowed and sat back down. 

"Well," Councillor Emery announced. "We have found something for the both of you,"

Lilith and Sophie's breaths hitched. 

"Because of the...events you both had to go through, we will deem this punishment, 'Already Served," He announced. 

Sophie's eyes went wide, and they locked with Lilith's. Lilith could hardly believe it. She wasn't being exiled!

"However," Emery continued. "We have the problem about Foxfire. Neither of you have taken your final exams, and missed quite a bit over the last part of the year," 

Lilith's shoulders slumped. There was movement behind her, and she saw Grady stand up. 

"I was nervous when I first walked into that room with Lilith," He admitted. "But Lilith has shown me how much control she has over her ability. As a mesmer, I know sometimes the ability controls you, but Lilith has shown that it doesn't have to be that way. If it counts, I give her an automatic 100," He declared, then sat back down. 

He made eye contact with Lilith and gave her a thumbs-up. 

Tiergan stood up next. "The fact that Sophie Foster was able to transmit from across the world gets her a 100 in my class as well,"

Soon, all the teachers stood up and announced their grades for both Lilith and Sophie. 

"The fact that you memorized the star maps, and even found Elementine gives you both a 100," Sir Astin announced, earning a smile from both Lilith and Sophie. 

However, one teacher was left - Lady Galvin. 

"Contradictory to popular opinion," She began. "I cannot give these girls 100s, I'm sorry," She stated, and Lilith practically heard the glee on Bronte's face. 

"I have a solution for that!" A voice announced - Alden. "Under the events that they both went through, they both found a second ability. And assuming they both aren't looking into Alchemy for the future, perhaps we could replace it with Ability Mentoring?" He suggested. 

A murmur rose around the room. 

"Shade training for Lilith Taylor, and Inflicting for Sophie Foster," He finished. 

Lilith tensed as she heard voices asking, "Inflictor? Shade?" 

The Councillors agreed, and Bronte stood up. 

"I promise you, Sophie Foster, you will be getting an automatic fail," Bronte said, locking eyes with Sophie - who nearly fell out of her chair. 

Lilith stifled a laugh as Sophie asked, "Bronte is my mentor?"

"Yes, I am, I am the only other inflictor," Bronte replied, a cruel smile on his face. 

"And we can have Lady Zillah for Lilith," Councillor Emery added. 

Lilith had a smile on her face as she hugged Sophie.

Maybe everything would be alright.