Chapter 2: Buhdeuce

As SwaySway parked the rocket van inside the garage, Buhdeuce jerked a little. SwaySway was speaking, but Buhdeuce wasn't paying attention. Being a breadwinner was a fun job, but the long hours and constant deliveries were pretty much murder. At this point, he was half sleepy and half awake, so whatever SwaySway said to him when they were in the van simply went in one ear and out the other. Buhdeuce did hear SwaySway opening the van door to get him out of the vehicle. "Come on, deucer. Let's have dinner." SwaySway spoke to him in a composed manner. "Nah, I'll just head to bed," Buhdeuce said as he began stretching and posing next to the van. SwaySway was somewhat taken aback. It was both surprising and shocking to see Buhdeuce in that state because he was the type of duck who would take advantage of any opportunity to eat, even if he was already full. 

"Are you sure? I don't want to wake up to discover you eating milk and cereal in the middle of the night, completely out of it." SwaySway stated in a joking remark. The two entered their bedroom and switched between their Breadwinners' attire to their nightgowns. SwaySway climbed into bed. "Look, I already told you. I'll head to bed." Buhdeuce said as he put on his nightcap. "Got it?" SwaySway yawned and replied with a simple "Okay." 

Buhdeuce hopped into his nest and pulled up his blanket. SwaySway joined in with him, pulling up his bed sheets and placing his blue nightcap on his head. "Good night, buddy." SwaySway sleepily stated to Buhdeuce. "Night!" Buhdeuce replied, as he slowly closed his eyes and fell asleep.

...

A bright light shone across Buhdeuce's face as he woke up. He quietly mumbled to himself as he scratched his eyes in mild discomfort. "Ugh, is it morning already?" He said to himself, feeling around his area in a dazed attempt to close the shutters close to his nest. Then, he noticed a mouthwatering smell. Buhdeuce was practically drooling from the delicious aroma, like warm cookies coming straight from the oven. He tried to leave his nest and get ready, but he suddenly became aware of what he was lying on. It was something he wasn't familiar with. What was it, though? What he already knew was that it wasn't his nest. It felt fluffy.

"HUH!? Where am I?" Buhdeuce asked, still a little disoriented. When he looked down, he saw that he was dozing off on a huge, squishy loaf of bread. The sight on its own rendered him speechless.

"What is this—bread?" Buhdeuce wondered. Buhdeuce reached toward the loaf and pulled off a piece out of pure curiosity and childlike wonder. He opened his mouth and took a huge bite. Yep, he was correct. It was bread. When he turned to look, he noticed something that caused his eyes to light up with pure, unadulterated excitement. Everything around him was made of bread, from the plants to the ground. "Oh, my bap! This is amazing!" Buhdeuce screamed joyously as he carefully slid himself off the enormous loaf he was perched on. The ground tasted like dough when Buhdeuce took a bite of it. He then chewed into a tree, which had a flavor like bread crust. He started chasing after everything and biting onto whatever he could see to taste it. His excitement nearly caused him to fall off a nearby cliff. He slightly shifted back when he became aware of his location, leaving his mouth hanging open.

He looked down at a big milk waterfall that dripped into a pond filled with butter pads that were floating about like lilypads. Pancake-shaped fish splashed and splished in a distinct way around the pond. His mouth began to water and he had an idea. "Welp, if this is a dream, I might as well enjoy it!" Buhdeuce muttered to himself as he reached into the pocket of his pajamas and extracted a pair of swimming goggles. He dove in while gazing at the waterfall. He did a half-decent swan dive into the pond, feeling the wind on his feathers. Buhdeuce played with the butter pads and nibbled at a pancake fish as it bubbled and swam about the pond. He sank into the pond and started drinking some of the water's milk before rising to his feet in a show that would amaze any passing ducklings.

"Ahh, that was fun! But I'm a little worn out. Time for a quiet nappy nap!" Buhdeuce said to himself. He raised his arms and turned to face the sky. He lost focus briefly while gazing at the living work of art in front of him. The traditional light blue color he had gotten used to had been replaced with a stunning blend of yellow and orange that made him think of honey and maple syrup. He couldn't take his eyes off the sight. It stunned him. "Wh-what was I doing again? Oh, that nap!" Buhdeuce said as he snapped himself out of his little trance. He crawled over to a small bread crust tree for shade and positioned his body to get some comfort. He did a small yawn and dozed off. A few minutes later, he awoke to a slight noise. Buhdeuce started to say, "Huh, what the-," but was cut off by a piece of toast that appeared out of nowhere. Buhdeuce slowly reached toward the toast to check what was going on, when a bright light flashed behind him. It was so bright that it illuminated everything around him. He covered his eyes as he turned around towards the blinding white light. Then, he saw something he never expected.

"What the heck..."

He stared at a gigantic version of himself. It had a spit-covered mouth and whitened pupils as it stood motionless. Though Buhdeuce couldn't see the giant's bottom half, he realized it was probably only wearing underpants because of its rushed appearance. Behind the figure was the Breadwinners' kitchen, which despite the fact it was nighttime, Buhdeuce could easily tell was an absolute mess. Tiny pieces of cereal were scattered everywhere,  slices of bread and cheese were plastered against the walls and floors, and empty milk cartons laid piled up in the sink. He took a quick glance up and down and made a stunning realization. The huge food world he had been messing around in was little more than a pile of food on a plate, sitting idly in the fridge. Buhdeuce was somehow just small enough to believe that he was wandering in a massive wonderland.

The giant glanced around the fridge, seemingly looking for something, allowing Buhdeuce to attempt to rush out of the situation. In order to avoid the giant's direct notice, he gently tiptoed out of the enormous mound of bread, milk, butter, and cheese while trying to pay attention to him. "Just. Don't. Do. Anything. Dumb." He quietly whispered under his breath. Although his friends frequently referred to him as a clutz, Buhdeuce understood that this was not the time for him to make a mistake. He might not have had another chance to leave that place after this. He took care to keep any potential noise-making foods away from him. "That's it. Easy does it." He mumbled calmly. Suddenly, a small purple grape rolled into Buhdeuce's pathway. Without time to react, he tripped over the grape and fell head-first into a plate of red jello. The sudden impact made the quietest jiggle, which was enough to get the giant's attention. "Oh no," Buhdeuce said in terror. 

The giant reached his hand toward the plate of jello. Buhdeuce made every effort to flee, but he was helpless, as his body was stuck in the solid material, jiggling back and forth. The giant took hold of the plate and carefully dragged it from the fridge and onto the kitchen counter. The giant turned around and gently opened a drawer, showing a collection of spoons, forks, and knives as he muttered something under his breath. Buhdeuce started to freak out. Every time he had jello, he would always take out a knife and slice it straight down the center, just so he could enjoy his meal for a little while longer. Knowing that he was halfway through, there was no way he would make it out alive without at least losing a limb or two. The giant turned around, holding what Buhdeuce sadly expected, a knife in his hands. He knelt down and slid the knife carefully in Buhdeuce's direction. Buhdeuce tugged and pulled vigorously, but it was ineffective. Buhdeuce closed his eyes as tears started to fall down his cheek.

A slight pain in his arm was the last thing Buhdeuce felt before he woke up.