Chapter 3: Ketta

"And done!" Ketta said to herself as she finished the motors on a moped scooter. "Your moped has been upgraded, Mrs. Furfle!" Ketta happily said as she looked up at Mrs. Furfle, her final customer of the day. Just make sure not to crash next time." "Oh thank you Ketta!" Mrs. Furfle said as she slowly got onto her moped scooter and zoomed away. Ketta sighed as her smile faded into a tired expression. She wandered into her shed and shut the door. Ketta grabbed a nearby flashlight and turned it on, revealing a pile of tools, a couple of failed experiments, cabinets, and a simple welding desk. "Welp, time to get to bed. It's been a pretty long day." Ketta said to herself as she wandered towards the desk, taking off her roller skates and her purple helmet along the way, revealing her fuzzy head of white feathers. When she got to the welding desk, she looked around at the bottom, looking for something she had added to the desk a while back. "Ugh, where's that dumb button?!" Ketta said angrily.

After feeling around for a bit, she finally found what she was looking for. A small red button with the words "BED MODE" written on it with a marker. She pressed the button and, within minutes, the desk transformed into a makeshift bed with a blanket and two pillows nailed into it. She
jumps into the bed and puts the blanket on herself. A mechanical hand from the other side of the room turns on a heater and sides back into the shed's wall. Ketta began to think a little before getting to bed. She began wondering why nobody else is asking for her to upgrade stuff or make inventions. Only SwaySway and Buhdeuce had actually questioned her on a regular basis, if not monthly. It was strange. She had initially assumed that no one knew she was an inventor, but SwaySway and Buhdeuce appeared to be very knowledgeable about her work. She pondered whether anyone would ever value her creations as she dozed off.

...

Ketta huddled behind the curtain, trembling with excitement. She was one of many ducks invited to attend the Pondega International Electronic Expo, and she readily accepted. The final duck to showcase an invention would be Ketta. She constructed K-T3, a robot version of herself, as a result of her amazing inventing abilities. The robot had two enormous eyes that resembled lightbulbs, an attached tire that served as its legs, and an impressive voicebox system that could accurately mimic her voice. It stood at a height that was almost equal to her own. Such things would undoubtedly impress the audience. "Hey, we will be getting ready soon. Give it your all!" As he passed her, a grey bird holding a sketchbook whispered something. It was time to unveil the robot she had been working on for a very long time. She grinned while gazing at her own miniature robot. Ketta quietly muttered to herself as she set the robot down on the stage floor, "Aww, from a basic bucket of bolts to my own little robot chick." Ketta allowed herself a peek through the curtain and noticed that all her friends were sitting too far back for her to see. Regardless, she just told herself that they'd have plenty of time to talk with her after the expo. An announcer began to speak out of the room's speakers, causing the audience to quiet down.

"HELLO EVERYONE! NOW, WE'RE ENDING OUR DISCUSSION WITH THE ROLLER-BLADING INVENTOR, KETTA!" The announcer yelled.

Ketta knew that was her cue to walk on the stage. She wandered in front of the curtains and K-T3 wandered behind her. The audience roared in applause. Ketta began talking once the audience quieted down.

 "Good morning, everyone!" 

Silence.

"Huh. That's weird. I guess I'm getting a little too excited." Ketta thought. "I'll continue. Introducing the latest in technology, K-T3!" 

Ketta happily said as she pulled a remote out of her pocket. She pressed a red button and made K-T3 wave to the audience. Once again, Ketta was met with dead silence from the audience. Despite her confusion, Ketta soldiered on.