Chapter 07

"What is that?" Shang screamed as he and Katy huddled together. Both of them pointed at the creature while jumping around, Shang pulling you back as you tried getting closer to it.

"What's what?" Trevor asked simply, not understanding what the big fuss was about.

"That! What is that?" Katy points aggressively.

"That! That! That!" Shang pointed, making sure to keep you back from it. The creature jumped around happily towards Trevor.

"You can see Morris?" Trevor asked in amazement.

"Morris?" You asked at the name, a small smile gracing your lips.

"Oh, Morris! They can see you! You're real! All this time I thought I was hallucinating him." Trevor laughed as he hugged Morris. "Oh, this is such fab news."

"Where's his face?" Katy questioned, Morris growling in response as Trevor shushed her.

"He's a bit sensitive about that." Trevor claimed. "Oh. Really?" He listened as Morris chittered into his ear. "Morris says he knows who you are."

"It talks... It talks to you?" You asked in amazement.

"If he didn't talk to me, I'd have gone mad yonks ago."

"How would he know me?" Shang asked as Morris ran to his feet.

"He says he grew up with your mum. In Ta Lo. Apparently, your father picked him up in some magic forest on one of his expeditions to find the entrance." Trevor explained as you crouched down to pet Morris and Shang knelt beside you with a smile. "He wants you to take him home." Trevor said.

"Believe me, buddy, I would if I knew how. According to my dad, the path there only opens once a year." Shang talked to Morris who started jumping around again with excitement.

"Oh." Trevor chuckled as Morris jumped into his lap again. "Morris says he can guide you there right now. You can get through the maze without waiting for the path to open. But, and it's a big 'but,' it's very dangerous." Trevor translated.

"How dangerous?" Katy asked wearily.

"No one's ever made it out alive. But Morris is 90% confident he can guide us through safely." Morris squealed at Trevor's words. "Oh." Trevor laughed. "19%." He corrected.

"I trust him" you told your friends.

"I don't think that your thinking straight right now" Shang reminded gently.

"Look, I've done dumber things with worse odds. But even if that chicken-pig is right..." Katy started, Morris whining at the name she called him. "...we're still locked in your—" she continued until a crash cut her off. Shang pulled you back and looked to the side, prepared to fight until his sister stumbled through the rubble and he let out a sigh.

"How did you..." Shang started to ask.

"Dad has a tunnel system under the whole compound. That's how I escaped last time." She explained simply.

"Oh." Katy nodded along.

"This will take us straight to the garage." She said. She calmly looked over to Morris as he chirped, unfazed by the creature. Shang helped you to step over the rubble as you followed Xialing through the tunnels and into the garage. Xialing broke into the box that held all of the car keys, handing Katy the keys and taking the box away from them so that they had no access to their vehicles.

"Oh, my God. I kinda like this guy." Katy commented, looking at the BMW.

"There is no way I'm getting in that car with her driving" you told Shang with a stern look on your face.