Repurcussions

The morning dawned on the two as they laid in bed, entwined in each other. This was second to the last day of their contract.

Monte woke in a brief moment of fright as Ruth's hair tickled his long nose, looking down at her face, he smiled and tilted his head back on the pillow. Thinking on how eventful each day has been, he chuckled and whispered to himself "at least I'm getting my money's worth".. a few moments later Monte's cell vibrated hard on the mattress as a call came in, Ruth had woke by the vibration and hearing his deep voice echoing through his chest as he answered.

"This is Montgomery."

Ruth opened her eyes, but still laid in the same position while hearing the squealed voice on the other end of his call.

"Hello Sir, I'm sorry to bother you so early, but we have a problem at building C, there are a couple of guys here requesting to see you."

Monte's face remained unfazed and not perturbed in the slightest.

"Well, what do they want?" He asked.

"They won't say, but they just roughed up the doorman, and they're going door to door asking about you. One of them has a bulky hip, I'm thinking it's a gun."

"Interesting, thanks, tell them I'm on my way." Monte closed the call and looked down to meet the four way gaze of Ruth's stare.

"The fuck you think you're going? Are you crazy?"

"Yes."

"Shut up" Ruth said.

"You asked...." replied the cheeky bastard.

"Monte!" Ruth yelled as she landed a fist over his heart, "you shouldn't go, we don't even know who they are and what they want. Send some of your cop friends."

"Doc, I appreciate your concern, but I've got it handled."

"Then I'm coming with you." She said, believing herself.

"No, you're not, and don't even think about following me again. I doubt things will get too ugly but I can't risk you being there."

Eventually, Ruth agreed to stay behind and wait for his return which he repeatedly assured her of. She pleaded with him to at least stay for breakfast, but Monte denied. He convinced himself he was thinking of the safety of his tenants, when really he was after the thrill. Eventually, Ruth had to watch him drive away and that's when her worrying truly began. Monte drove for some time before getting to the city, while making a pit stop at Cory's. Cory was Monte's right hand man for all intents and purposes, the one he asked to help Ruth take care of the 12.8 million dollars buried behind the cabin.

Cory was in the middle of mowing his lawn when he saw the purple beacon of a car pull up to the front of his house. Coming to a halt himself, Cory climbed out of the riding mower and stood tall at almost six feet.

"Haven't heard from you in a hot minute, the fuck you been?"

Monte smiled at his friend's remark and told him of his latest escapades with the lovely Ruth Moore.

"....but with all that said, C, I'm afraid I've got some urgent trouble."

"Hmm, of course you do, what is it?" Cory inquired.

"Two guys at one of the Sunrise locations, asking about my whereabouts, I've been advised there may be a gun involved."

Cory chuckled softly before letting out a deep laugh from the pit of his belly.

"Man you always got some shit going... A'ight whatever... gimmie a few." He concluded as he took some time to put himself together. In an effort to be unobtrusive, Montgomery parked his M4 and tagged along in Cory's Jeep. It didn't take long for the two to arrive.