Chapter 145

Nandini opened her eyes and looked at Rajesh Garewal with disbelief. Blinking back tears forcefully, she compelled herself to lower her hands but they remained clasped together.

This was a replica of the family deity on Prithvi's maternal side?

But why had Priyamvada sent it to her family? There had to be some despicable motive behind it, Nandini thought distractedly.

Now her grandfather was walking closer to the marble idol.

Bhoothnath looked upon the gift with amazement. He had expected to see something beautiful but this went far beyond his expectations. And Rajesh's quiet statement had added to his astonishment.

The idol of the tutelary deity...it was not an ordinary gift. But then he'd gotten an impression over the years that Prithvi's mother was an atheist, so perhaps it wouldn't have been very significant for her. Yet...it was strange...

He touched the feet of all the deities with devotion. "This is an image that should be worshipped, not displayed for viewing pleasure," he stated reverently. Then he looked at the Garewals. "Shri Ram is the family deity on his father's side? Or his mother's?"

"His mother's side," Rajesh answered. "His father's family worships the Goddess Aadya."

"It looks like the idols we see in old temples," Prakash said in wonder, examining the figurine closely.

Bhoothnath retreated to allow the women to come closer to the beautiful creation but he continued to gaze at it.

Nandini remained at the back.

She wanted to move ahead and touch the marble....to feel the warmth of the fingers that had created it. But she was terrified that the emotions she was suppressing with painful difficulty would spill out if she did so. So, she remained still and watched the others gush over the figurine in awestruck voices, and admire the intricate work...

"This level of skill is extraordinary. He must have spent years to perfect this craft," Bhoothnath commented appreciatively. "I should call him and -"

"Oh you mustn't do that yet, Papa," Aruna said quickly. "Mrs. Rathore wishes to tell him herself that she has sent this as a gift for your family."

Bhoothnath looked at his guests with a sudden sharpness. "You said Prithvi had made it for his mother. Did he know that she intended to gift it away?"

An unpleasant jolt went through Nandini. In her overwhelmed state, she hadn't even considered this aspect. The tremendous, painstaking work that had gone into crafting the idol was obvious. Prithvi had made it for his mother, and she had simply given it away...to a family she hated. What kind of twisted mind games was she playing, Nandini thought with fresh anger and loathing.

Rajesh and Aruna glanced at each other uncertainly.

"I'm sure he does," Aruna said tentatively. "And even if he doesn't, we don't need to be worried about his reaction. He has very deep affection for all of you, and he would only be happy to know that this piece was gifted to your family."

Bhoothnath smiled and nodded. "I agree, and we too love him very much, and that is why I want to be sure of what he feels before truly accepting this gift. Prakash, put it back in the box and keep it in my room near the shrine."

Nandini's throat closed as she watched Prakash put the idol into the box again and carry it to their grandfather's room.

She moved numbly to a side as the others in the room settled back on the sofa and chairs.

Aruna warmly said, "Prithvi's stay in Shamli was short, but it brought about many changes in him. He used to be so reserved and silent, I would often wonder if he even liked us," she said ruefully, then her face brightened. "But he was a different person when I met him next. He spoke with us so well...and was much gentler and sweeter. He had to visit the US for business reasons several times, and he would try to visit us whenever possible. And he would even bring flowers for me. And the affection in his voice when he spoke about your family...it was so touching. The change in him was not something that happens naturally so soon. I know it happened because of all of you."