Chapter 154

Using a polished dark cane for support, Uday Singh strolled slowly with careful steps towards the terrace on the first floor. He was watched closely by his two attendants as he walked to the railing.

He looked expectantly at the main gate, wondering when Nandini would arrive...and how the situation would unfold once she did arrive...

Uday Singh turned and walked to one of the plush chairs and sat down, dismissing the attendant who tried to help.

He had reacted with a spontaneous joy when he'd heard the news from Sumer Singh, but the reasons for his happiness and relief were bigger and deeper than the ones he'd breezily expressed at the time.

He was happy because this was going to be a great opportunity to find out many things about Nandini...about Prithvi. About both of them together. And if there was any hope at all of a reconciliation, he had to try to sniff it out.

How happy he'd been to hear that Prithvi was on his way to Taravan, Uday Singh thought with a sigh.

He'd not given Nandini any serious thought until then. But although Prithvi had been his usual funny, considerate self since his arrival, it had soon become clear that the poor boy's heart was not in the best shape. Still, he had told himself that Prithvi merely needed a little time to recover from the unexpected revisit to his past.

In fact, for the initial few days, he had felt glad that Sankatmochan had possessed the sense to avoid speaking about Nandini or her family. And he too had not tried to find out anything about her because he'd believed it was a closed chapter in Prithvi's life, especially with Priyamvada's presence.

Instead, he had convinced Sankatmochan to share salacious details of his life prior to Shamli under the guise that it would help unburden his soul from the guilt of past mistakes. And he'd greatly enjoyed listening to Sankatmochan's stories at first. But before long, through small, subtle things, he'd realised Prithvi's turmoil was increasing instead of fading out with time. And a deep worry about Prithvi had begun gnawing at him. But he'd kept his concerns to himself, not even sharing them with Sumer Singh or Sankatmochan.

He had not known Prithvi for as long as the other two, but he had understood him enough over the years to discern that the boy was suffering and was finding it difficult to get back to his usual life.

And that was when he'd carefully begun prying for information about Nandini during his talks with Sankatmochan. Questions that were outwardly very vague and casual, but were enough for him to get an idea about the life Nandini had led in the last five years. He'd objectively rejected a lot of Sankatmochan's talk because the young man was plainly devoted to the entire Bharadwaj clan and his praises couldn't be relied on. And the girl had broken Prithvi's heart, so there had to obviously be a side to her that was in contrast to the sweet, adorable and loving child he remembered. Five years ago, this thought had run through his mind repeatedly but he had somehow not been able to believe it even in the face of Prithvi's pain, and he'd not been able to despise the girl as he should have.

Perhaps it was because of the kind of life he had led, wandering in the grey areas morally...but something had told him that whatever had happened couldn't easily be defined as right or wrong.

And now, if even a fraction of what Sankatmochan had said was true...

Then there was the coincidence of Prithvi running into the Garewals while being on an outing with friends. And for Prithvi to invite Nandini here...of course, he had purportedly done it for Rajeshwari, and he wasn't even going to be here during her visit...but still, if he had found it in himself to extend the invitation after the horrific heartbreak he had endured...

Uday Singh's forehead crinkled in confusion. What could he do even if there was some validity to his speculations. He didn't know anything about what had split up the youngsters five years ago. And even if he found out, there was nothing much in his hands.