Monday mornings

Sunoo knocked on the door. He knew Jungwon was waiting for him, but he didn't expect the door to open so quickly.

"The tea is ready, I want every detail" said Jungwon.
"Good evening to you too" replied the officer, with his best sassy tone.

Indeed Jungwon had prepared everything. The teapot was on the table, with two mugs and cookies.

"Get ready" said Sunoo, trying to be mysterious.
"Let's go" replied Jungwon, sitting down and looking at his friend.

Sunoo sat as well, trying to decide how he should start.

"Do you want the good or the bad news first?" asked Sunoo.
"The bad first, obviously" replied Jungwon.
"Well, I'm pretty sure Niki's covering the woman" said Sunoo, ripping the bandaid out. "He got nervous and unconfirmed when I mentioned her and then his voice trembled. Textbook lie, no doubt."
"Wow" replied Jungwon. "I'm kinda disappointed... I wanted to believe he was a good person."
"I know..." said Sunoo

Sunoo didn't answer. He looked down and grabbed a cookie. He needed sugary courage. Jungwon felt that it would be best to change subjects now. Sunoo was feeling too hurt for now.

"What's the good news now?" asked Jungwon.

Sunoo told his friend about the arcade date, how Niki taught him to play, how they had become closer. Jungwon listened peacefully, waiting for the bomb he knew was coming.

"And then he suggested we ate diner together" explained Sunoo. "Which I obviously agreed to. He took me to a cute Japanese place and we ate something delicious with octopus, but I don't remember the name."
"You mean takoyaki?" asked Jungwon, lifting his eyebrows.
"Yes that's it" replied Sunoo, pointing his finger at Jungwon and clapping happily.
"You never agreed to try it with me, but you did with Niki?" commented Jungwon, faking to be annoyed.
"Oh come on" replied Sunoo. "Back to the story. We were talking and that's when I mentioned the woman and he acted weird and suspicious."
"What happened next?" asked Jungwon, avid to know.
"After that he changed subjects and I didn't insist. I already had everything I needed about her so... we talked about common stuff, you know, music, movies" explained Sunoo. "I swear, for while I forgot I was a cop, I forgot we're suspecting Niki, I forgot the missing boys."
"How come?" asked Jungwon, sensing the bomb soon to be dropped.

Sunoo looked at his friend, knowing damn well that he already knew why.

"Cause obviously I have feelings for Niki" whispered Sunoo. "And the worst is that I know I shouldn't have feelings for him. It's wrong. He is involved in kidnapping and presumably the hospitalization of Beomgyu."
"But?" asked Jungwon.
"How do you know there's a "but"?" replied Sunoo.
"It's always about butts with you" said Jungwon.
"Ah ah very funny" answered Sunoo, even though he was smiling. "Well, at the end, Niki drove me back to the arcade, cause my car was there. And here's the thing: he hugged me. He thanked me for wanting to spend time with him and I swear it felt real. It left me heartbroken to hear the loneliness in his voice."

"So you kissed him right?" asked Jungwon.
"How?" instantly replied Sunoo.
"I've known you for years, it's your go to move" explained Jungwon.
"Yeah, I kissed his cheek, then he ran away" admitted Sunoo.

It's weird cause it was just on his cheek, but it felt so overwhelming. More than any other kisses I ever had. Like a lightning through my whole body.

"See I knew it" said Jungwon, smiling from satisfaction as he leaned back on his chair. "But what about now? How are you dealing with the fact that you love him? Are you going to confront him?"
"I have no choice have I? My hope is that I can convince him to make the right choice. If he knows where the boys are, we can rescue them" explained Sunoo.
"Let's hope he will listen to you" said Jungwon, lost in his thoughts.

After a while, Jungwon leaned back in.
"Sunoo, how is it?" he asked.
"What do you mean?" replied his friend.
"Kissing someone" explained Jungwon.
"Are we FINALLY having this conversation?" asked Sunoo.
"Nevermind" suddenly answered Jungwon, turning red.

~

Monday morning came way too fast. Sunoo hadn't gotten much sleep. He kept thinking about the talk he would have with Niki as soon as they would meet at the office.

He tried not to get his expectations too high, he didn't want to get hurt.

Which I'll probably will end up being. Even if he cooperates, he's still going to jail. And I'll be heartbroken. I know it.

Sunoo sighed and got up and ready. He drove slower than usual, pushing back time as much as he could. Eventually he arrived in the station's parking lot and noticed Niki's car wasn't here yet.

Good, it'll give me time to prepare.

Sunoo entered the station and greeted Jungwon, who had started early. He continued walking, and stopped at his own office. Sunoo sat down and nervously doodled on his notepad.

Minutes passed, but Niki was nowhere to be seen. Sunoo frowned and decided to give him a call.

Maybe he just had trouble waking up?

However, Sunoo felt something was off. It wasn't just delay. Nonetheless he walked towards the wallphone in the hallway and tried calling Niki's place, but the phone beeped as if the number didn't exist.

How?

Sunoo walked back to his desk, checking he had the right number.

I dialed it correctly, why didn't the call work?

Sunoo decided to try again.

"Good morning officer Kim" said the Chief, who happened to be in the hallway.
"Good morning sir" replied Sunoo.
"Are you okay?" asked Chief Park.
"I'm worried about Niki, I mean Officer Nishimura" he said. "He's late."

Chief Park frowned heavily, which accentuated his sharp features.

"What do you mean?" he asked. "There's no Officer Nishimura in this office."

Wait WHAT?

"I'm sorry, I must be mistaken" said Sunoo, trying to think as fast as he could.

The chief walked away, looking at Sunoo as if the latter was crazy.

Did I hear right? He doesn't remember Niki?

Sunoo spent the ten following minutes asking all his colleagues if they knew officer Nishimura Niki, and no one did, even though two days ago he had been introduced to the whole team.

Sunoo kept his only hope for last.

He approached Jungwon, who was busy reading a document.

"Hey" said Sunoo, his voice was trembling.
"What is it? Why are you stressed?" asked Jungwon, immediately alerted.
"Please, please tell me you remember Niki, no one in the office does, I feel like I'm going insane" said Sunoo, overwhelmed.
"Who?" asked Jungwon, confused.
"Nishimura Niki" repeated Sunoo, feeling tears coming up.
"I'm sorry, I don't know who you're talking about" replied Jungwon gently.