Chapter fourteen: Emma

I woke up from a light doze and heard voices coming from the kitchen. Slowly, I pulled myself up and padded into the kitchen.

Louis looked up and smiled.

"Good evening, mon cherié." He whispered.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"It's half-five. Time to go home." He said, standing and kissing the top of my head. "Feeling better?"

I blinked until I remembered that I was supposed to be ill.

"I might need one more day off." I tried.

He laughed. "Good luck with that, sweetie. I'm driving you in and I'm not leaving until the bell goes."

I sighed. It was worth a try.

"Thank you for looking after me, Auntie Cam." I said.

"No problem, ma cherié. Be a good girl for Louis." She smothered me in a hug and I endured it for three seconds before backing off. 

Louis embraced his sister and thanked her before guiding me out of the house and into the car.

"Did you have a good day?" He asked, as he pulled out of the drive.

"Yeah." I replied, warily.

His lips curved into a slight smile.

"Why did you let me go there?" I asked.

"I figured you two could help each other." He replied, instead of fobbing me off like I assumed he would. "You both need someone to open up to."

I sat back and considered this for a minute, casting Louis another look, but he kept his eyes on the road, his expression never shifting.

"What makes you think I need to open up to anyone?" I asked.

He smiled, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"You do a good job of hiding it, my love, but I know when you're feeling upset about something." He replied. "I'm just hoping one day you'll feel comfortable enough to tell me when something's troubling you."

I turned to look out the window, wondering if I would ever feel comfortable enough to break down the walls I had built around myself. They had kept me safe for so long and had protected me from pain. But they also stopped me from finding a true friend in this world.

I wished I was brave enough to break the walls down without the fear of being hurt getting in the way.

~*~

Louis stopped me from getting out the car. 

"Amelié thinks you've been at school all day." He explained. "So just play along when she asks how your day has been." 

"You didn't tell her?" I asked, surprised. 

"She would have been...upset that I let you skive for the day." He replied, with a dry smile. "I don't want to deal with that tonight." 

I nodded. 

"You're not going to use this against me at some point, are you?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"I might do." 

He laughed. "Well make sure it's something worth it. It may be the last thing you get out of me for a while." 

I smiled. 

"Come on then." He said, opening the door. 

I followed him into the house and smiled at Max who raised an eyebrow.