.˳⁺⁎˚ ︻デ═一 ♡ ~ .˳⁺⁎˚ ➔ c h a p t e r 3

your eyes fly open to the sound of classical music. you look around frantically. that's before you remember the events of last night. you were at the games.

you climb out of bed and start to walk down the concrete steps. looking around, the first thing you notice are the bunks-there's hundreds of them. and to go with them, hundreds of also confused people.

you see everybody wearing a dark teal tracksuit and white shoes. you look down and see that you have one on too. everybody's has a number on them, you can see that yours is 416.

you reach the center of the room, and there is a huge crowd. in the center there is a big buff man beating up a petite woman. their numbers are 101 and 067.

101 is screaming at 067 and kicking and punching her. you want to help so bad, but you definitely don't want to be his next victim.

all of a sudden, another man runs into the crowd and grabs 067 by the jacket. he inspects her neck then starts shaking her violently.

"it's you! you're the damn pickpocket! you loser. my money, where is it? give it back?!" he shouts at her whilst still shaking her.

"what the hell do you think you're doing?" 101 yells at the man shaking 067, player 456.

456 fumbles for a second and says "listen..the name is seong gi-hun, i'm from ssangmun-dong,-" he's interrupted by a remark from 101. "ssangmun-dongshit." he says chuckling.

"me and this..woman, have something to talk about." gi-hun says sheepishly. 101 yells at him and takes a swing for him, when the metal doors open.

the doors fly open and some guards come out. they're dressed exactly like the man that picked you up, except one of them has a square on his mask. the rest that are with him have circles.

the one with the square steps forward and starts talking.

"we would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you all. over the next 6 days, you will be participating in 6 different games. those who win all six games will win a handsome cash prize." he announces.

this is where you really take a look at the room. it's creepy. the whole place is very prison-like, from the jumpsuits to the guards to even the bunk beds.

you tune back into reality right when gi-hun is asking how much you get when you win. "just how much do we get if we win all 6 games?" he asks.

the masked square pushes a button on his remote. the lights dim and from the ceiling comes a huge, clear piggybank. it emits a golden glow into the warehouse.

"your prize money will be accumulated in here. we will disclose the amount after the first game." the square says, almost sounding like a robot.

then one guy starts going on about how your phones were tracked, that the police were going to come, a whole bunch of mumbo-jumbo. you were more focused on what really mattered: the money.

if the prize money was going to fill up that entire piggy bank, just how much was at stake here?

the square says something again.

"i'll give you one last chance. will you go back to your old, depressing lives being chased by your creditors, or will you seize this final opportunity that we're offering here? if you do not wish to play the game, please say so now."

somehow, the silence is loud. it confirms that everybody there was in.

"please form a line in the center of the room to sign the player consent forms." the square says loudly.

you hop in the back of the line and wait for your turn to sign. you hear chatter among players. there's even a husband and wife here!

once you reach the front of the room, a circle man puts a piece of paper in front of you. you grab a pen and look down at it.

PLAYER CONSENT FORM

Clause 1: a player may not stop playing.
Clause 2: a player who refuses to participate will be eliminated.
Clause 3: a game may be terminated if the majority agrees.
Signature:______________________

you scan through the clauses and look back up to the circle worker. "is this all?" you ask him. no response. "okay then." you say under your breath.

you scribble your name down on the paper and shove your paper into the circle man's hands. you turn around and walk to the back of the room, sitting on your bunk.

you're spaced out looking at your shoes when a player comes up to you. you look up, and it's player 218. he sits down next to you on the edge of your bunk.

"hey, i saw you from over there. i couldn't help but think that you looked really worried." he says to you. "it's that obvious?" you ask him in response.

before he can say anything else, an overly-cheery woman comes over a PA system.

"players, the first game will begin momentarily. please follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way to the game hall." she announces.

218 looks at you before giving you a quick hug and standing up. you do the same and follow everybody out of the dorm.

you go down some colorful hallways before entering a trippy staircase-if that's even what it was called. it gave you a headache but was also weirdly comforting.

you hear a robotic voice and see lines forming. you step into a line and wait your turn. when it's your turn, you step up into place. the lady repeats the same message she has hundreds of times.

"please look into the camera. smile!" she says sounding WAY to happy.

you look directly into the camera and give a slight smile before proceeding onto the staircase. you follow the line of players in front of you.

you notice while walking that there is another classification of guards. they're dressed just like the other guards, except for the fact that they have guns in their hands and have triangles on their masks, rather than a square or circle.

as you walk by one of the triangles, you can't help but feel like they have their eyes on you. and as you walk by, you swear that you can see out of the corner of your eye that the mask turned towards you as you walked away. (hope that made sense lol)

after walking for a few minutes, you finally reach the game hall. you enter and take in your surroundings. there is really tall grass. hidden within the grass there are tiny huts. the sky was blue and the ground had dirt on it.

that's when you saw it.

word count: 1148
date written: 11/27/2021
____________________________________