.˳⁺⁎˚ ︻デ═一 ♡ ~ .˳⁺⁎˚ ➔ c h a p t e r 4

a doll. a huge, creepy, robotic doll. while looking at it more, you realize that it's the same doll from primary school. she was in the books you had, which helped you learn to read.

standing next to her were two of the circle guards. there was a timer in the sky, above her head. the woman came back on the PA.

"players, welcome to the first game. you will be playing red light, green light. let me explain the rules. you are allowed to move forward when "it" shouts out green light. stop when "it" shouts red light. if your movement is detected afterwards, you will be eliminated. players who make it past the finish line within the 5 minute play time will pass this round. please stand behind the white line."

"it" turned around so it was facing the tree. there was a brief pause before the timer started ticking and the game begun.

"green light" the doll shouted. everybody moved forward at a normal pace, some people running. a slight jog worked perfectly for you.

"red light!" the doll yelled quickly while turning around. her pupils went crazy, they probably had cameras and were scanning the crowd. they zeroed in on one player who was running and couldn't seem to slow to a total stop, since he was wobbling around.

the woman makes another announcement. "player 324, eliminated." almost immediately after, a bang rings out through the room and player 324 drops to the ground.

you can almost hear the shock. "he has to be faking it. maybe he's the overdramatic type." you think, really hoping to be right.

"green light" the doll announces, very suddenly. people are not eager to move forward, but player 250 runs up to the (hopefully not) lifeless 324.

"red light!" 250 stops, just hovering over 324. he whispers something to him, and instead of responding with words, his whole body moves and blood comes out of his mouth.

250 backs away, and the doll's creepy eyes look directly at him. he tries to run away, but is shot down before he can escape. his blood spatters on a woman standing nearby.

she puts her hands up to her face and looks at them. she lets out a bloodcurdling scream and is quickly eliminated.

the squid games have officially begun.

-fast forward to after red light, green light-

you're sitting down near a random bunk. players 456, 199 and 218 are sitting next to you. everything hurts, your mind, and your legs.

you jumped over the finish line at the last 5 seconds. the impact really hurt your knees.

as for your mind, you weren't alone. everybody felt absolutely sick. you could see it on their faces. your thoughts are interrupted by 218 whispering to you.

"hey, glad to see that you made it." he tells you. you look at him and reply "yeah, i am too. glad you survived."

he smiles a bit and turns away.

all of a sudden, the lights flicked on. you take cover in your forearm, your eyes having not adjusted to the lights.

you hear the sound of the metal doors whooshing open and painfully look up. there is one square and a bunch of triangles. they're all armed.

"congratulations. you have all made it through the first game. i will now announce the results of the first game" the square says before hitting a button on a remote.

the big number 456 on the board above starts to drop, by a lot. "out of 456 players, 255 were eliminated. that leaves 201 players remaining." the square says.

the room falls silent, before wailing echoes out.

"mister, please! please let us go! i promise, i'll pay it all back! i have to register my child! oh, so young! please, i have to name my child!" player 212 cries, falling to her knees.

other women do the same, swearing they'll pay it back and crying before the guards.

"i believe there's been a misunderstanding. we are not trying to harm you or collect your debts." the square guard explains.

"well, that doesn't justify killing us all!" a man yells on the brink of tears.

"it was just a game." he says back.

"so..so killing all of us..was just a GAME to you, huh?!" another man yells.

"those players were simply eliminated because they broke the rules of the game. if you follow the rules, you can leave safely with the money promised."

more fighting breaks out, but you're focused on other things. the other things in question: the fact that the triangle on the end is looking directly at you. (a/n u can see this because you're on the side of the room rather than the middle)

you brush it off and zone back in when 218 is quoting the consent form. "clause 3: a game may be terminated if the majority agrees." he states boldly.

"you are correct. we will take a vote on whether or not to terminate the game. before we vote, i will not announce the prize money." the square says back.

he continues talking. "the prize money accumulated in the first game is 25.5 billion won. the total amount of won is 45.6 billion."

you stand there aghast. so does everyone else. with money like that, you could pay off the debts you owed and more. you could actually get an education.

"now, let the voting start. player 456, please cast your vote."

gi-hun walks up to the voting table, and looks at the available options. he ultimately decides on terminating the game. 

soon enough, it's your turn to vote. you walk up to the voting table. you've given this some thought; the only thing you had to lose was debts, which you could stand. you hit the green "O" and walk to where the players were standing.

eventually it reaches the last vote, player 001. an old man. he staggers up to the table and his hand hovers above the options. it moves left, then right, then left again, before he slowly places his hand on the red "X".

101-100. the game was terminated. people begin shouting; some are extremely happy and others are yelling. you personally are a bit upset. this could have been a great opportunity, but it was over now.

"the majority of the votes were for terminating the game. therefore, this game is now terminated." the square manager says.

people start yelling at him and telling him that they'll play instead. he pays them no attention.

"it truly is a pity we must say goodbye to you like this. but, we will not totally seal the door of opportunity yet. if the majority agrees, we can resume the game. but, goodbye for now." he finishes.

a hissing noise comes from above and the same white gas rains down on you. you fall into the same deep sleep.

word count: 1162
date written: 11/29/2021