Short Story 2 - Deadly Love

Another Original work of mine. Sry I haven't posted anything in a while. Haven't been writing much. Anyways, enjoy! 

Warning: Major Character Death, Hanahaki

***

I stared down at the bloody roses: they were in full bloom. Suffocating. Staring up at him. "It was you. It was always you." This was my end. How did I get here?

Melvin Andilet. I coughed. The pain in my chest worsened with every thought of him. Getting harder and harder to breathe. I was in love, a hopeless, unrequited love. I coughed again. I was in class, however unpresent my mind was. "Stop daydreaming and pay attention in class!" Apparently, Mr. Irwin noticed. The pain in my chest seized: I coughed again. I raised my hand and quietly excused myself from class. I hurried down the long corridors, past the lockers, to get to the bathroom. I felt as if there was a boa-constrictor, squeezing my chest. I could barely breathe; I was suffocating. I brought my hand up to my mouth as I tasted something metallic in it. I coughed into my hand, and when I pulled it away, there were specks of blood displayed across my fist.

I blinked. I was in the bathroom again. This time staring down at petals. I felt my face go slack from shock. It was impossible. Yet I understood perfectly what it was. I was in denial. I coughed again, hacking up more white rose petals; tinged red from blood. It wasn't true. It couldn't be....

This time I was at home. Red and white rosebuds clasped in my pale hand. I looked in my mirror on my dark grey wall. My face was pale: lips red with drops of blood. So it was true. I had Hanahaki.

It was all because of Melvin. My best friend. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I couldn't give him up. I would love him till the end. Till I finally suffocated from the flowers in my lungs.

It was today again, but earlier. This morning. My chest felt like it was bursting. I could barely breathe. In the bathroom, again. A red rose. No. White, dyed red from blood. Oh. I heard the bathroom door open but paid it no mind. I didn't care who knew. It was too late now anyway. I couldn't get any more air into my lungs. My body was giving up. My legs collapsed. I closed my eyes, expecting to hit the cold tiled floor. Instead, warm arms caught me. I was slowly lowered to the floor, laying on someone's lap. I opened my eyes, wanting to see who had caught me.

No! He isn't here. It's not real. It can't be! Melvin's warm golden eyes stared down at me, filled with worry. His eyes flickered to the bloody flowers still clutched weakly in my hands.

"Who?"

I stared down at the bloody roses: they were in full bloom. Suffocating. Staring up at him. "It was you. It was always you." With my last breath, I told him. This was my end. How fitting that I would die in his arms. His face was the last one I would ever see. As everything faded to black, I heard the last whispered words, "I'm sorry, Cyrus."