Chapter 4

Leal
Faithful and true

Vivienne stood in the middle of the lab staring at the necklace that Tony called a time machine, while gently stroking her belly

Vivienne stood in the middle of the lab staring at the necklace that Tony called a time machine, while gently stroking her belly. She still couldn't picture how such a little device could move a person across space and time but then again she had never been big on science.

"So you're telling me that he will be able to travel to the past but there's no way for him to get back?" she questioned, cautiously.

"We don't know. The technology exists currently, when he goes back we can't say whether or not the necklace will survive such a major time leap, and even if it does who knows if anyone on that side will be able to operate it," Bruce answered, honestly.

"What about your dad?"

Tony just shrugged his shoulders and went back to tinkering with the necklace. Vivienne's tummy began to churn, twisting into a major knot. An uneasy feeling set in her. Once he saw this there was no going back then the choice will be his and just for a split second doubt and selfishness filled her mind. He'd probably get over it, learn to live with it right?

"Are you sure about this butterfly?" Bucky asked.

"You heard him, Buck. He'd give up anything to be with her. I can't be selfish with this. It should be his choice."

"Are you giving up on him?" Bucky asked, confused.

"No! I'm simply giving a choice. One that he didn't have all those years ago. I cannot live the rest of my life believing I'm his second choice and that he only settled for me because he couldn't have her."

Vivienne fell to her knees burying her head in her hands. Her body shook as she sobbed. Immediately Bruce, Bucky, and Tony ran to the girl rubbing her back, whispering softly, trying to console her.

"What happened kiddo?" Tony questioned.

"You should have seen the way he looked at her picture after the funeral," Vivienne wept.

"He loves you," Bruce stated.

"He wouldn't waste a second to go back to her. I thought he'd be over her by now but it seems like he never will be completely over the love of his life... And I - I feel a substitute."

"That's not true, kid. If Steve can't see what he has in you then that's his loss," Tony tenderly stroked her jet black hair.

"Pardon the interruption but Captain Rogers has just entered the building," Jarvis announced.

"Please don't say anything to him," Vivienne pleaded with the three men in front of her.

They nodded in acknowledgment and she gave them a small smile before she wiped away the tears and stood up, taking in a deep breath before leaving the lab to go meet her husband.

~~~

Steve sat at the edge of the bed, head in his hands, mind full of thoughts. Soft footfalls caught his attention, he didn't even have to lift his head to know who it belonged to. The minute she entered any room, it filled with her sweet scent. It was unique, like cranberries and vanilla.

Vivienne stopped at the doorway, leaning against the frame. Her heart ached as she looked at her husband. It took everything in her not to go up to him and take him in her arms and never let go. 

"Can I come in, big guy?"

Steve nodded his head, unable to look at the girl in the doorway. It had been three days since their 'talk' and the guilt had been eating at him. Bucky was right he had said things that he was regretting right now.

"Are you okay, big guy?"

Vivienne walked into the room and kneeled in front of her super-soldier, she kept his head down refusing to meet his eyes.

"I'm sorry. You know I didn't mean it. Please look at me, sweetheart."

Steve place a finger under her chin lift her head, revealing her puffy red eyes. He didn't look so good himself.

"I know you were hurting but I also know that your words held some truth in them. I love you Steve. With all my heart but like you said she's the love of your life and I can't help but feel like I'm your substitute."

Steve leaned his forehead against Vivienne's, closing his eyes. He just needed to feel her near him. His heart broke the minute he looked at her. He knew he had hurt her badly but he also knew she was the most kind-hearted person he had ever met. The only thing he could hope for was for her to find it in her heart to forgive him.

He pulled away to look into her eyes but she avoided his heavenly gaze.

"Do you know why I love you? When I first met you didn't make fun of the fact that I was frozen for 70 years or were amazed by me being Captain America. You shook my hand and asked me how I was. You were kind and welcoming. You made the ice around my heart melt your warm beautiful smile. I felt like I knew you for all my life. You spent nights up listening to my every story. Paying attention to every detail. To you, I was never Captain America. I was always Steve Rogers."

Vivienne finally looked up into his baby blue eyes that were now filled with love, adoration, and tears.

"Do you mean it?" she sincerely asked.

"Every. Single. Word."

"I love you too. More than life itself. And it's because I love you that I'm choosing to let you go," she said with a heavy heart.

"I don't understand. Are you breaking up with me?" he asked, jaw clenched in angst.

Fear filled his heart as he looked at his wife. He had just lost Peggy there was no way he could survive losing her too.

"Not exactly. It's kind of hard to explain. I'd rather show you."

~~~

"So I turn this three times and stand in this device and it will transport me back in time," Steve inquired as he turned the necklace over in his hands.

Bucky, Natasha, and Vivienne stood at the back of the lab watching Bruce and Tony explaining the technology to Steve.

"So you're having a mini Viv and you willingly chose to show him this?" Natasha questioned, admiring Vivienne's love and bravery.

"You know it could be a mini Steve right?" Vivienne replied, choosing to ignore the latter part of Nat's question.

Natasha crouched down to be level with Viv's belly and murmured,
"Don't be a traitor little one."

Vivienne looked at her soldier deep in discussion and then back to Bucky and Natasha. She knew no matter what decision Steve made she and this baby would be loved.

~~~