5.1: By The Sea (Infiltration)

The aroma of a freshly toasted bread and steaming fried eggs circulated through the kitchen. It was quiet, nothing made any sound except the clock and the water dripping on the aluminum sink. Wish sat in front of the table, watching the steam coming from her coffee.

Wala siya sa mood kumilos o kumain. Nagluto lang siya para magpalipas-oras. Gayunman, tumayo siya para isara ng maayos ang gripo nang matigil na ang nakakairitang tunog ng tubig. She reached for the clock and removed the batteries.

Again, it was all quiet.

It's still early, around thirty minutes after five in the morning. Her sleep was interrupted by another nightmare. There's nothing new though. Those night terrors have been bugging her since the day she decided to go rogue.

Nakaramdam siya ng bahagyang lamig. She used her hair to cover her arms. May kung ano sa isip niya ang nairita dahil sa lamig na iyon. Gusto niyang matulog ulit pero paniguradong mapipikon lang siya sa panaginip niya.

Her phone rang. Her dead stare got fixed on the screen where an unregistered number flashed. But she knows who's calling. She answered the call and pressed the speaker mode but she didn't greet the caller.

"Good morning, dear. Nagising ba kita?"

Wish didn't answer. Tinatamad siyang magsalita.

"Dear, magsalita ka naman. Para sigurado akong hindi multo ang kausap ko."

"Ang aga-aga, ang harot ng tono mo."

Halos marinig niya ang pagsimangot ni Marcus Alvarez mula sa kabila ng linya. "I know that you love me but can you make it a little less obvious?"

"Cut the crap, Alvarez. Ano bang kailangan mo?"

"I'm sending my men to bring you something. Sasamahan ka rin nila para mamili ng lahat ng kailangan mo," he answered. Wish heard clinking sounds from Marcus' background. "Gusto kitang samahan pero may bisita ako maya-maya."

"Ang pass?"

"Dadalhin nila sa iyo. My men would discuss everything with you," he said. "They'd be there in ten minutes."

"May ibibilin ka pa ba? I will not accept any call from six and onwards."

Wish is actually thinking that he would at least give it a second thought. Not that she's concerned about the doctor or her own innocence. Mas nangingibabaw lang talaga ang katamaran niya sa katawan.

"If you are giving me one last chance to change my mind, give up the idea," Marcus replied. "Basta mag-ingat ka lang. Ayaw ko ng sabit."

"Akong bahala." The call ended.

She glanced at the clock display on her phone and it was almost six in the morning. She started eating the food she prepared. Maya-maya pa ay nakarinig siya ng mga katok. She stood and walked towards the door. She opened it and saw the landlady, wearing a morning smile on her face.

"Wish, may dalawang lalaki sa labas ng gate. Mga bodyguard daw ng kapatid mo. Papapasukin ko ba?"

"Kapatid, huh?"

"Sige ho."

"Oh, sige. Teka bubuksan ko ang gate."

"Salamat, Aling Lani."

Sumandal siya sa gilid ng pinto at hinintay ang mga tauhan ni Marcus. When they saw her, she went inside her unit, leaving the door open. They followed her inside.

"Sit down." She offered them the couch. One of the two gave her an envelope. Sinilip niya ang laman niyon. She found an invitation and a few papers. "Your boss called me. He said you will tell me what I need to know. Speak."