Epilogue

5 years later

James took off his coat and sat in front of his table. He just finished taking his rounds and he's exhausted since he's been on duty for eight hours already.

It's Saturday and he's going off as usual. May church service kasi sila at kailangan niya talaga iyon dahil malala ang stress sa trabaho niya. He's also going to visit Wish after the service. It's her birthday and he can't let her spend it alone.

The ex-assassin has been progressing greatly after she turned herself in to the police five years ago, dragging her former clients with her. Her sentence stretched up to forty-five years in prison and she's happy about it. Maraming me-time, sabi nga niya.

She's been joining Bible studies inside the jail since she was detained there. James couldn't help but laugh whenever he recalls how excited she was to attend those sessions. Everytime he visits her, she won't stop talking about what she learned and how much she wants to learn more.

He, on the other hand, always tells her what's happening on the outside world. He'd always laugh at the look on her face whenever he mentions sad news. Parang bumalik sa pagiging bata si Wish. But she seems to be happy about everything, despite the sad fact that she can't enjoy the outside life. She's living the best of her life. She's finally living her life.

James shook his head and chuckled. He better get going.

He went home and prepared. Napapagod pa siya pero malapit nang magsimula ang service at wala siyang pwedeng ma-miss.

After ten minutes of driving, he arrived in front of a white building near the hospital. He went out of his car and tried to protect his eyes from the strong sunlight.

He was about to enter the building when he heard footsteps from the behind. He turned to greet whoever that was but when their eyes met, he stood frozen in shock.

"Hi," the woman said. "Kalalabas ko lang kasi ngayon at wala akong alam na puntahan. Sabi ng source ko, nandito raw ang guardian ko. I'm not used to celebrating my birthday without him anymore so I went here to attend church with him."

James couldn't move. She never failed to surprise him. Since he won't talk, she giggled and looked around.

"Tama ka, this place can calm raging hearts. Tumatanggap ba sila ng ex-convict dito?"

He still couldn't grasp what he's seeing. Like, how could she just appear in front of him and say hi like it's the most natural thing on earth?

"Why are you here?"

Stupid question. The woman already told him why. But she just laughed at him. He looked like he saw a ghost. She didn't die, she was just detained. But she gets it. He wasn't expecting to see her out of jail in five years time.

Well, thanks to the Lord and her remarkably improving character, she was granted a parole. Her prayers have been answered. Mababawasan ang me-time niya sa paglabas pero mas maganda na kasi may mga plano siyang hindi niya magagawa sa kulungan.

She smiled at him and gently punched his chest.

"You said you're going to Heaven," she recalled. "Gusto ko sanang sumama kung okay lang."

Then everything became real to him. Wish and her powerful presence. Her gentle punch, soft voice, and braided hair. Her eyes sparkling with such joy he hoped for her to have from the first day he decided to change her mind.

She is really there.

"My, my! I thought you'd at least hug me? Tititigan mo na lang ba ako?"

Finally, his shoulders eased and his lips formed a curve. He pinched her cheek which made her giggle again.

"Let's go inside? The service is about to begin."

Wish smiled. A drop of tear ran down her right cheek. Her heart is overflowing with happiness. She's now free. Her conscience is clear. She had already paid her debt in the eyes of the law and Jesus paid her debts in the eyes of God. She has nothing to fear anymore.

"Thank you," she replied and wiped her cheek. James held her hand and led her towards the hall, smiling at the marvelous sight of a free her that he had always prayed to see.

For years, her quest was to find the reasons behind who she is and who she wants to be. She even came to think that her existence has no purpose at all. Then he came. He changed her mind in the most unlikely situation by simply showing her that true happiness lies in God's hands. He changed her mind by showing her that there's always a purpose and a reason, even when they don't know what it could be.

Surely, her journey to find reasons was a roller-coaster ride. But in her search, she found Jesus. And He is even greater than anything she ever wanted to find.

~cnwndr~

TO GOD BE THE GLORY!