Chapter 1

The walls were painted a warm orange and the floor was a comforting carpeted green

The walls were painted a warm orange and the floor was a comforting carpeted green. Idyllic light shone through white wood windows that created gleaming patterns on the floor. The light bounced off multicoloured balls of yarn, creating tiny little rainbows that dissipated into the room's atmosphere. It was one of those summer's days where the sun bathed the earth in an embrace so warm you wished it could swallow it whole.

Yet an icy note in the air chimed across telephone rings. It belonged to the usually-pink Gramble, now painted a deep red from the anticipation of what was to come. With every ring the shy Grumpus gripped his phone with even greater nervousness. It shivered, albeit gleefully, in his hand as his lips stumbled on the right words to say.

"Ahem, erm...hello, Wiggle?

Hellooooo, Wiggle...

Hey, Wiggle, what's up?

Yoyoyo- ...'Gramble, no. That's stupid.'

Heyyyy, Wiggle! Sigh...no. Too casual."

Gramble continued to fiddle around with the faded-red telephone cord. It was twisted, tangled and mangled with exposed wires. The big red contraption it connected to had little fairytales painted onto the surface, a symbol of ornate kitsch for the time that still held an immortal charm to this day. The paint was flaking off from years of neglect, creating splotches where adorable little narratives once stood.

Finally, that familiar singsong chirp of a voice had finally entered the room. Gramble seized the moment.

"Hellooo, Gramble-"

"WHASSAAAAAAAAAP!"

A weird, heavy silence now hung in the air.

"...sorry, Wiggle. I-I got carried away again, didn't I?"

"Aw, don't feel shy! I like Grumps that aren't afraid to speak their mind!"

"Hehe! He..." Gramble's red lightened into his natural pink.

"So, how've things been?"

Gramble stiffened, fidgeting with the cord. "Things're alright. Save for the...erm, lack of money."

She giggled. "Ah, don't worry, at least you have a job in this economy. How's the knitting for Grumps in Need? I've seen local headlines about you & them."

"It's going well! Though it's...kind of hard to live on knitted Strabby caps alone."

"Aren't they paying you more? They're a big one."

"Yeah, they pay me per box. But they say it's for charity, so they can't pay me much. They just tell me to think of all the young'uns I'm making happy out there." The pink knitter gave a resigned sigh.

"Oh, that's awful of them. Why not sell your caps then?"

"Wiggle, you and I know that I'm an amateur when it comes to this stuff! Have you seen the new knitters selling on Instagrump? I can't possibly compete with them!"