Chapter 4

Why did she leave for the tower without telling him? Gramble in a furious haze ruminated on the thought as the bus stopped at the foot of Grump Tower, where a horde of fans had already gathered and a formidable security presence was having trouble

Why did she leave for the tower without telling him? Gramble in a furious haze ruminated on the thought as the bus stopped at the foot of Grump Tower, where a horde of fans had already gathered and a formidable security presence was having trouble. Despite it being a harsh Sunday morning - the stinging sun and sweltering heat failed to deter them. They brandished Wiggle-branded merchandise & signs and screamed for & shoved in her name; the police simply retaliated. He buckled down to avoid papparazzi flashes & tossed coffees as he jostled through the crowd looking for an opening through the navy blue wall.

There's one - some mega-fans were dragging in cops & beating them up on the right, causing some evacuation on his side. Now he could sneak in no problem and in no time both him & Wiggle would finally hold up her end of the bargain. Then one of those mega-fans called for help, and just like that a chaotic wave of arms, hands & crotches washed past him, obstructing his sight & orientation as they charged into that battle like reinforcements. It's no problem - just a little more and he'd be up there in no ti-

"HEY! Stop, you!"

Oh Grump they found me-

"Where you think you're goin'?" one asked, hand binded to his. "You heard the news. Guests only!"

"Let go of me right now!" he struggled, legs flailing and fist hitting the guard's padded arm to no effect.

"And why should I do that?"

"I want to see her!" He yelled, desperate to be let go.

"See you? Hah! She ain't got time to see a wimp like you."

That was the last straw. Call him a wimp, sure, go ahead, but assume Wiggle would do so to him - that was the line. His blood boiled over and exploded into raging fire.

"She's my FRIEND!"

There was no other way. He lunged his head for the clasping hands & bit hard to the shrieking horror of the guard, letting him go in astonishment. That goofy bucktooth of his, it could dig deep - he apologised accordingly. Bolting for the express lift as fast as his little legs could carry him, he slammed the lift doors shut before the police could reach him.

One vertigo-inducing ride later the lift doors opened and the gleaming glare of the sunny New Grump City skyline briefly paralysed him but he knew better than to stop for a sightsee. The air at the top was thin, that when shared with hundreds of other tourists was positively a vacuum - but the refreshing lack of summer sweltering made up for the discomfort. Finding energy in the mild breeze, Gramble shot for the nearest gaudy procession he could find. That was most likely where Wiggle would be.

Thankfully, most of Grump Tower's rooftop was dull concrete, so any colourful thing would instantly catch the eye. Unfortunately, Wiggle loved her nature, and there was plenty of it to go around - green walls with flowering vines, giant ferns & palms in similarly fitting vases, to top it all off it was not exactly laid out by the best interior designer in the world. It was quite literally a maze, and the quickly-approaching police were the Grumpinotaurs.