Bonus Story: The Next Adventure

Surprise! So I did make a promise to write an update to this story if New Horizons got a Brewster update, didn't I? That update came much later than expected (thx Nintendo :/), but I'm happy to be writing a bonus story for this novella! Please enjoy :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time had done nothing but pass for Blathers. The museum had finally reached its completion in Animal Village, and while the joy of identifying specimens had been lost to the owl, he still enjoyed giving villagers tours every once in a while. But even then, Blathers was no stranger to the fact that life had grown considerably slow in Animal Village. All around him, everything seemed to be changing -- Celeste only worked the museum in the spring and summer during the busy season, and Brewster had passed off his coffee shop into the hands of some trusted employees so he could travel. Blathers' two closest companions had found ways to improve their lives, and yet, for Blathers, life remained stagnant, and quite honestly, lonely without the company of his sister and best friend.

Blathers was startled awake by a knock at the side of the door one summer morning. His eyes shot open, and he stared in confusion as Tom Nook stood at his entrance. While all the business owners of Animal Village were acquainted with each other, Tom Nook did not often visit the museum, often too busy to get away from his realtor business.

"Tom! What a pleasure to see you," Blathers cooed. "Were you hoping to get a tour of the fossils this morning? Or maybe you wanted to peruse the aquarium?" Inwardly, he prayed that Tom wouldn't want to see the bugs.

Tom Nook glanced around the museum, clearly noticing how empty it must be. Then, he approached Blathers and spoke. "I actually have come to you with a business proposition."

Blathers blinked. "A...a what?" He had no idea how Tom Nook could have an interest in his museum.

"Well, you see, the word is starting to spread around. Perhaps you've heard it, but I'm expanding my real estate business! There are a great number of islands out there just begging to be developed. There's one island in particular that has caught my eye that I'm hoping to develop in the springtime. I've already convinced the Able Sisters to join me. What about you?" Tom Nook asked.

Blathers stared at him strangely. "M-Move the museum?"

"Not move it, but build a new one entirely! Oh, think of all the specimen out there waiting to be discovered. It sounds right down your alley, Blathers," Tom said.

Blathers could not think of any words to say. It was true that life here had grown boring, and that even though he had aged, Blathers still dreamed for adventure just as he had done when he was a chick. That being said, he had been here many years now, and it seemed wrong to leave the entire museum behind after he had spent so long building it up from its foundation.

"I can tell this is a lot for you to process. Why don't you get back to me in a few days' time?" Tom Nook suggested, patting Blathers' shoulder. 

Blathers nodded, then watched the raccoon leave. He had a lot to think about.

...

Celeste returned from a short trip a few days later. She had barely taken a few steps into the museum when Blathers pulled her aside to talk. He relayed to her all that Tom Nook had told him.

Celeste seemed annoyed. "Why is this bothering you so much? You've said yourself life has gotten boring here. That's why I've been traveling more. That's why Brewster left."

The mention of Brewster made Blathers' heart sink. He missed his best friend more than anything. Though they sometimes exchanged letters, with Brewster's whereabouts often unknown, they'd sometimes go months without speaking to each other. Blathers wished he could write to the pigeon, but he didn't know Brewster's current location at the moment.