Chapter 15

"Are you okay holding down the fort while I'm gone?" Blathers asked his sister from the bottom of the steps.

She rolled her eyes at him. "Of course, Blathers. We haven't even opened yet. We won't have that many visitors in the time it takes you to get a cup of coffee."

"Well, it was super busy around noon yesterday, and I was just worried--"

"Just go!" Celeste exclaimed, waving her red wings at him.

Blathers smiled, feeling safe with the museum in Celeste's wings. She had handled her new position well, both as head astronomer and lead of some of the new exhibits they had placed in the upper level of the museum. Just as Tortimer predicted, visitor levels had increased under the new mayor, and Blathers was happy to chat with many visitors every day as they wandered by the museum while shopping.

In many ways, the addition of the shopping strip had been very beneficial to Animal Village. Located right next to the train station, both current villagers and travelers liked to stop by and explore. The tailer shop had expanded, especially with the return of Sable and Mabel's long lost sister, Labelle, the postal shop had been relocated, as well as Nook's shop. Even better, there were the addition of many new businesses, include a fortune shop, dream suite, hair salon, shoe parlor, real estate center, and the list only seemed to drag on.

As Blathers walked down the strip in the early morning hours, there weren't too shoppers yet, which made for a delightful walk. He glanced over his shoulder at the newly established dance club. Since the removal of Brewster's coffee shop from the museum, K.K. Slider had opened his own business, titled Club L.O.L., where he performed a variety of songs. It was refreshing to see the performer's career finally beginning to take off, though K.K. still liked to stop by The Roost every now and again to play a few tunes.

If Blathers was impressed by anyone's new business, it was Brewster's. The Roost was located further into town, not on the main strip, but sales had been skyrocketing at the coffee shop. In fact, Brewster had hired some new helpers to keep up with the demand. No longer was Blathers able to simply waltz in to talk to Brewster alone for a while, as the shop was nearly always crammed. That was why Blathers often reserved these morning hours for a quick trip for a cup of coffee.

Today was an especially perfect day for a warm cup. The onset of autumn had turned the grass brown and the leaves yellow, as well as made the air cold. A warm cup of Brewster's special blend was exactly what Blathers needed.

As Blathers entered the shop, he was relieved to only see one other customer enjoying a cup of coffee. Brewster gave his standard greeting, then glanced up, noticing his friend.

"I already have your coffee ready," Brewster said, placing it down at Blathers' favorite spot at the counter.

Blathers smiled and took a seat. Normally, he was often in a rush to get back to the museum, but he felt he had enough time for a small conversation today.

"Not as busy today?" Blathers asked.

"Just give it a few hours," Brewster said. "As soon as it warms up a little, everyone will flock out of their houses for a beverage. How's the museum doing? I thought you'd be rushing back over there like you normally do."

"Celeste has it covered for me right now," Blathers said. "We've been swarmed with visitors lately. It's been so exciting telling everyone about our findings! Though I don't enjoy speaking about the insects that much."

Brewster laughed quietly. "I cannot believe you still can't stand those creatures."

"They're vile," Blathers muttered under his breath. "But it's a sacrifice I have to make. Otherwise Tortimer would've fired me the moment I arrived."

"I wonder how that old cook is doing. Probably soaking up the sun," Brewster stated.

"Probably. I still haven't found the time to take the boat over to the island," Blathers admitted.

"Me either. Let's go some time, then, when business is slow."

"Sounds like a plan," Blathers agreed. He glanced at the clock behind Brewster, letting out a sigh. He really didn't want to head back to the museum so soon, but their opening hours were soon, and Blathers always enjoyed greeting guests first thing in the morning.

"Stop by later in the evening for another cup if you want," Brewster offered, noticing Blathers was getting antsy to leave.

"I will. Have a good day," he said.

"You too," Brewster replied.

Blathers glanced back one last time at his friend, smiled, and gave a wave before heading back outside into the chilly town. As Blathers began his walk back to the museum, he glanced around, noticing the way the leaves fell softly to the ground and the way the river gurgled quietly and the waves the villagers exchanged with each other.

Blathers was once again reminded of his reservations coming to and staying in Animal Village. He glanced forward, noticing a villager digging away at the ground, probably looking for a fossil.

Blathers smiled, reminiscing on his own days spent at the sandbox, digging up treasures his mother laid for him. Perhaps his archaeology dream had not come true. Many dreams of his had not come true, but at the same time, he was happy, happier than he ever could have imagined. There had been ups and downs in Animal Village, but he was here with Celeste and Brewster and all the other amazing animals he had met since arriving here. The museum felt like Blather's own little treasure, and he felt compelled to share its specimens with the rest of the world.

Blathers felt the train tracks under his feet as he crossed the train tracks. The museum was coming into view now, as were the number of shoppers that had popped up already. He had a feeling this was going to be another busy day.

As Blathers approached the museum's entrance, he spun around, looking over the town he had grown to love over the past years. No. This had not been life or career he planned, but Animal Village had found a special way in his heart, and he would treasure that feeling for as long as he lived.

Smiling to himself, Blathers shook his feathers some and headed inside, ready for another day.