Chapter 7

I took slow deep breaths as the elevator chimed and stopped on my floor. Stepping out of the elevator and toward my desk, I passed Noel's chair where his jacket still laid. I ran my hand across it before sitting down in my own seat. 

I wonder if everyone already knows what happened.

As I began my work on the computer, I noticed the person in the opposing desk was staring at me. I slowly turned and noticed that everyone was staring at me. Some eyes were filled with confusion while others held compassion.

I stood and their eyes followed, completely focused on my every move. I quickly walked to the front desk and saw Pam typing furiously.

"Hey, what's with everyone?" I whispered with a scratchy throat. "Did you tell them what happened?"

"Hmm? Oh, V! I didn't even see you come in, sorry about that! Fred's been with me most of the time while covering this floor for Meek and we haven't said anything. Why?" 

I flickered my eyes to the groups huddled in the office that stared at us. She caught on to this and quickly turned to catch them staring before they scattered into different directions.

"No one has asked us anything and Fred left a while ago to check his floor," she explained as she waved off the last of the lingering eyes.

Of course no one would ask her, she's their boss.

I sighed and waved to her as I went back to my desk. Once again, the eyes began to stare holes into my head. 

A sea of murmurs ran through the office as everyone readied themselves for lunch. One of the waves came close enough for me to hear it clearly.

"I heard that he basically murdered everyone in that café," a low, squeaky voice said.

"He only got to this rank because he probably threatened the boss to promote him early. Maybe he was trying to get another promotion," a husky voice replied.

I swiftly turned to catch the pair directly behind me. Without another word, they awkwardly smiled before speed walking out of the office. 

I continued to work until my phone began to ring with a call from Meek. As I answered, I heard him bickering with Dontae about stubbornness. I cleared my throat and began leaving the building while I waited for them to finish.

"You there, V?" He finally asked.

I hummed in response.

"We made lunch with what was left so you better come hungry!" 

I attempted to laugh. The sight of Meek cooking and Dontae wobbling around the kitchen were rare. With Dontae's late hours and Meek not knowing how to use most kitchen utensils, the two often ate out and gave everyone reviews of the places they've been.

"Hey, are you laughing? Don't laugh! I swear we actually did something," Meek defended. "He told me what to do so it's going to be good."

"Sure," I croaked, sarcastically.

"What happened to your voice?" His voice was laced with concern.

"Later," I was able to mumble before coughing.

After finally getting to my apartment and opening the door, lunch was prepared and on the table waiting. Meek jumped from behind the door and yelled something as he pointed at the table,causing me to jump and tightly close my eyes, shielding myself from an expected impact that never came.

"V?" He asked, confused.

I hesitantly opened my eyes to see concern in Dontae's and his face. I coughed out an awkward laugh and gestured that I was fine as I went to the table. Placing my things on the chair next to me, I signaled for Meek to come to the table with Dontae and I to eat but he stood there with a knowing look.