three

Jet lag or not, Chaeyoung wakes with the sun as it peeks around the edges of the drawn curtains. She lays in bed for a moment longer, looking over at Jennie, who is still sound asleep. Jennie has one arm tucked under her pillow, the other pressed into her cheek.

Chaeyoung lets herself watch for a moment. She has the sudden urge to reach over and push Jennie's hair off of her forehead, tuck it behind her ear.

Instead, she gets out of bed and calls room service to have breakfast delivered.

Chaeyoung checks her phone while she waits. Alice has sent a few messages asking how she's doing and if she's met anyone famous. Chaeyoung responds with a frowny face emoji and a reminder that her job is confidential, thank you very much.

She hopes the text wakes Alice up.

At the knock on the door, Chaeyoung declines the offer to have the table set and takes the tray of coffee and food herself. She resists drawing back the drapes for now, just drinks a cup of coffee and eats breakfast quietly as she reads through the news before deciding that, since it's half six, she might as well let more light into the room—no sense in delaying the day anymore.

Jennie turns over in bed as the sun falls across her face, but she doesn't open her eyes. Chaeyoung smiles and hums to herself, steps back to the table and pours a cup of coffee for Jennie. Jennie is clearly not a morning person, but if she doesn't get up now, Chaeyoung's worried they won't make it down to the lobby by eight.

Walking over to the bed, Chaeyoung calls her name softly once, then again. Jennie grunts something unintelligible.

"It's a gorgeous day out, Jennie. Time to get up," she tries again, a little louder.

"You're just naturally like this in the morning, aren't you?" Jennie mumbles.

"Like what?"

"All energized and perfect—" Jennie is speaking mostly into the pillow, but Chaeyoung can see her cheeks pinken anyway. Jennie opens one eye to glance sideways at Chaeyoung and barrels on in the direction of the distraction that Chaeyoung is providing. "And you've got coffee, oh thank god." She sits up in bed and sweeps hair out of her eyes as Chaeyoung hands her the cup.

"You were nearly nonverbal yesterday until you'd had some after we landed," Chaeyoung says, laughing lightly. "I know better now."

The coffee seems like it goes a long way toward waking Jennie up. Enough so that, as Chaeyoung starts pulling clothing out of her suitcase, laying out possible combinations, Jennie sets her cup aside and smooths out the duvet in her lap.

Chaeyoung can't help watching as Jennie stretches and swings her legs out over the side of the bed.

"You wanna get ready first or should I?" she asks Jennie.

"There's two sinks, no reason we can't do it at the same time," Jennie shrugs as she slides off the other side of the bed and pads across the room to where Chaeyoung had lain out their suitcases last night. She looks soft and relaxed now, strappy navy tank and matching sleep shorts rumpled from sleeping in them, and Chaeyoung feels a swell of warmth towards her.

Jennie gives her a bemused expression, looking at the pairs of slacks and three shirts Chaeyoung has draped over one of the chairs. "How many outfits are you planning on needing today?"

"Just one, but I thought you might want to make sure we aren't too matchy-matchy this time," Chaeyoung says with a laugh, but she's being sincere. Today is going to be stressful enough for Jennie, if there's something she can do to help, it feels right to do it.