Chapter 2: same story;

Okay, so maybe Jungkook thinks his neighbor is cute.

A little.

Okay, maybe a lot.

Jungkook knows he has absolutely got to be imagining the way Jimin stares at him while he's on his daily jog. This must be a figment of his imagination, a hopeless endeavor. Does Jimin even like boys? Probably not. Jimin most likely has a lovely, kind girlfriend with a smile just as bright and caring as Jimin's own grin.

He's only seen Jimin's smile up close one time—that one awkward day when they were both down by the mailbox. Jungkook's brain had short-circuited the moment he spotted his neighbor, wearing an oversized gray sweater, fluffy brown hair falling gently around his face.

Jimin had smiled. Jungkook had panicked, fleeing with nothing more than a curt nod. He hated himself for it every day since then.

And it would be different if not for the fact than Jimin lived right next door.

It would be different if not for the fact that every time Jimin watered his flowers, singing softly and treating the delicate plants as if they were his dear friends, Jungkook could see his gentle movements and slight smile. Jimin was a very gentle person.

It would be different if not for the fact that Jungkook could see the determination on his neighbor's face after every grocery store visit, the way the smaller man balanced an insane amount of food in careful stacks while climbing the stairs. He seemed to make a game out of always taking the groceries in one trip. Jungkook continuously saw the contented look of pride on Jimin's face when he made it to the top, and every time Jungkook fell a little bit more in love.

Was it creepy? Probably. Jimin definitely wasn't even gay, but here Jungkook was, blushing like an idiot and hoping for the utterly impossible things in life.

The two have never spoken. Jungkook is far too shy, far too standoffish, to start a conversation with the ray of sunshine that is living next door.

A mere three weeks after Jimin moves in, Jungkook realizes that, inexplicably and inexcusably, he has a crush on the boy.

Jungkook is minding his own business and studying for his biology final when he spots Jimin's car pulling into the parking lot. A few moments later, he spots the boy popping open his trunk and picking out grocery bags. Jungkook's heart lurches, because he knows the inevitable and adorable events that come next.

1) Jimin will grab all the bags in one go, balancing them delicately and hobbling to the staircase. (Their apartment building's elevator has been broken for seven months.) He will forget to lock his car, like always.

2) Jimin will start climbing, occasionally losing his balance slightly and watching with dejection as three to four items spill from the bags—items he will come back to pick up a couple of minutes later.

3) Jimin will finally reach the top, and a stupid, goofy grin will spread over his face.

This is the series of events that Jungkook has grown accustomed to over the past two months. But today, Jungkook decides, today will be different. This is going to be the day that Jungkook finally offers to help Jimin with his groceries.

Jungkook swallowed a deep breath, running a couple of short laps around his cramped apartment, leaping over laundry and an empty cardboard box. His heart is thumping, a blush is crawling up his neck, and he feels his head go light. God, why was he acting like a fucking schoolgirl? Why couldn't he get over his goddamned social anxiety and have a nice conversation with his cute neighbor?