Twenty-Two

ᴊᴜɴᴇ 2ɴᴅ, 2006
—𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐡—
{ᴄʜᴀɴʜᴀꜱꜱᴇɴ, ᴍɪɴɴᴇꜱᴏᴛᴀ}

BEING BACK HOME IS JUST GREAT. I've had time to be in my apartment for two days since Prince had an emergency in New York so I was off. Within those two days, I ordered my furniture, saw my parents for the first time in months, and had time to relax. Prince got back this morning and I have yet to see him. I didn't have any way to get in contact with him since everything happened so quickly.

My mother and father have gotten me to write out a statement about my abuse by Leon. They still want me to file a report against him just to have it on file so I'm working with them to get it handled. They are lawyers after all—and they are my lawyers not just my parents. I will be turning everything in tomorrow so this statement needs to be done by then. Prince still doesn't even know all of this is happening with him being MIA and everything. Hopefully, he'll come down soon—it's going on ten-thirty am and he usually comes down for a smoothie along with a chocolate chip chewy bar.

Currently, I'm in the kitchen finishing up some vegetable prep for the next few days. Courtney pop in to have a snack but now we are jamming out to this new mixed CD I put together with some new music. 'Call On Me' by Janet Jackson and Nelly plays on my small boom box radio as we talk and sing along.

"Next Saturday is my birthday and I want you to come out with my friends and me. We're having dinner then hitting this new club so make sure you're available." Courtney shares with me as I wipe down the counter clean before I use it. "This is my 30th birthday and I'm tryna do it up since I'm not into birthdays that much. Prince rubbed off on me."

I smile at her at the invitation and I now know I have to shop for a gift soon. "Well thank you for the invitation. I'll try to get the day off from Prince."

She waves me off, "He'll do it. I'll talk to him for you." I went over to the oven and use my oven mitt to take out some fresh pastries. "So they are regular croissants or some special? You like to which things up." Courtney leans over behind at I place the tray of freshly baked croissants. "They look delicious!"

I smile proudly, "Thank you. These are regular ones, I did make some apple and cinnamon ones that are in the oven now." I take off my oven mitts and pick up my 'painter's' brush with a small bowl of melted butter. As I brush in the butter, Courtney's mouth is watering. "Only take one and put two aside for Jackie and Prince."

"They don't deserve shit. If they ain't down here when they come out, then oh well." She teases as I nudge her slightly.

"Is that so, CeCe?"

His voice sounds so foreign but my god has I missed it. Prince strolls into the kitchen looks absolutely dashing as always—the outfit is untouchable, his hair is perfect and the makeup is outstanding. Even at home, he's dressed up like he has a show. Instantly I'm swooning at the sight of him while trying to keep my composure since we aren't alone. Prince stops in front of the island counter as Courtney and I were on the other side—he glances at her then at me, flashing a small smile.

She shrugs at his comment and rips off a piece of the croissant, "It's the truth." Courtney laughs as I shook my head giggling off to the side and went over to place the buttery pastries on a cooling rack. My boss side-eye me with a smirk and comes around to grab a napkin. "Look. Look at him, that's why he came down. His nose is a food tracker. He just pops up into a conversation without saying hello. Rude!" She points over at our boss as he takes one of the croissants and stands on the other side of me.

He rolls his eyes, shaking his head at her comment. "You're right, that was rude of me." Prince apologizes then turns to me. "Hello, Riah." He smiles softly and takes a bite of the pastry.