Chapter 9

A/N: AHH! I've left you alone for so long! I'm sorry! This story got buried under so I forgot about it. But here's an update for you after a long while!

~~~~

Y/n set down the drink in his hand when he heard someone move the stool beside him. He didn't need to turn around to see who it was.

"L/n."

The (h/c)-ette 'tsk'ed, already knowing what their next words would be. "If you came to ask me about yesterday, you can go. You're wasting your time."

"Did you get rid of him?"

To that, Y/n didn't respond. His lack of an answer seemed to have angered the other person. They hit the countertop hard, garnering the attention of a few people nearby.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd stop taking your anger out on the bartender's property."

That reply angered them even more. "Do you know what you've just done?!"

"Enlighten me."

"You seem to think this is all a game, huh?! You let a bird get loose--"

Y/n pinned the person against the countertop, cutting them off. His drink fell, the glass shattering against the floor. He smirked down at them. 

"It's my game. So what if one bird gets loose?"

"Y-You--! You're r-- risking everything!"

"I thought about keeping the birds all in one cage, but where's the fun in that?"

The person grit their teeth, growing more and more angered by the smirk and look of amusement on Y/N's face. 

"If you're just going to get in my way, why do I need you? I've got enough pawns. What's the harm in letting one go?"

Y/n grew even more amused, seeing a look of fear and regret appear on their face for a moment. But, then he let go of them and backed away. His gaze then trailed down to the spilled drink and broken glass.

"Make sure to compensate the bartender for this," he said, then turned to walk away. "Maybe then I'll reconsider replacing you."

That was the last thing he said as he left the person behind. He then grabbed his phone from his pocket. He had received a link.

[A/N: Don't look this up or anything. It's not real, I made it up. And if it is, who knows where it will lead you]

https:// mst36.com / 5acf916e2eb655c0276182ec7ac9f3ab7e52a8e938ec987139ffb053c1092ae6

"Not a moment of peace, huh..."

--

A man wearing a big coat paced back and forth. He seemed both anxious and impatient. His eyebrows were furrowed, balling and unballing his fists constantly. He then stopped when he heard footsteps approaching

"You're trespassing on private property," a person with (h/c) hair said.

"I'm s... sorry..."

"You must be lost, mister. It's alright. People seem to confuse my address with someone else's. They are similar, after all. Mind telling me where you're headed?"

The man swallowed his nerves and spoke clearly. "663... Minamoto Street..."

"I see," they said. "Follow me."

The man followed after them, going inside. Once behind closed doors, the (h/c)-ette turned around, a gun aimed at them, making them jolt. 

"Before we advance any further, I'd like your name."

Just as the man opened his mouth, the (h/c)-ette added something else. "And don't even think about lying to me."

The man nodded and gave the (h/c)-ette his name. "I don't think I need an introduction, so let's get to it, shall we?"

Y/n led the man to a dimly lit room and sat down, waiting for the man to take a seat as well. 

"I need your help, L/n. My daughter, she-- She was..."

The man went silent, trying to hold back the tears. Y/n threw a newspaper onto the table, looking at the girl. "She was killed... Right?"

The man nodded his head in affirmation, looking away from the newspaper. "Kaoru Tachibana... Assassinated and left for dead in the woods."

"That bastard took my daughter, I know it! He killed her in cold blood and left her!"

The man finally looked at Y/n, his eyes swimming with pain. His expression showed rage and despair. 

"I know the kind of person you are and what you do...! Avenge my daughter, please, I beg of you! You're the only one I can count on!"

Y/n continued to observe, taking note of his words and his movements. "I've gone to the police, but they won't help me!"

That was when the man pulled out a big stack of cash, sliding it over to the (h/c)-ette. "Please take this...! In exchange for helping me."

Y/n slid the money back. "I don't take money in return for what I do."

"Then what--?"

"The police seem to always be on my case for being a murderer. Yet people like you seek my help because they're incapable of doing their jobs."

Y/n leaned back in his chair. "All I ask for is your cooperation. No matter what it entails. Are you still willing to accept my terms?"

Without hesitation, the man nodded. "If it means getting justice for my daughter."

"Is that so?" Y/n responded. "Then why not go after the killer yourself?"

"I am a single father taking care of two kids. I don't want to leave them alone, but I also want my daughter to rest in peace."

Y/n smirked and got up. "Alright then. It's settled."

The man also got up, feeling a bit better. "As per the terms, you're aware that if you speak of our interaction, it could very well cost you your life?"

"I am aware," he answered. "But if you get this done for me, then there would be no reason for me to throw you under the bus in any way."

"Very good."

--

The sound of keys colliding against the table resounded throughout the quiet house. Then, there were footsteps. A guy with dark hair walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, reaching for a drink.

As he took a drink, he heard something open and close in the distance. He slowly lowered the drink away from his mouth, remaining quiet. He stood in silence for a few more minutes, resuming his actions only when he no longer heard the sound.

When he finished, he closed the fridge door and made his way out of the kitchen. The thought of watching tv crossed his mind, but he decided to head off to bed instead. The last thing he wanted to hear was the news.

He walked down the hall, heading toward one particular door. His hand reached for the doorknob, twisting it. He then pushed the door open to see that his window was open. The moonlight streamed in, bringing subtle lighting to the dark room.

His hand reached for the light switch. But when he flipped it, the light didn't turn on. A cold shiver ran up his spine. But just before he could turn and leave, a voice spoke.

"Seems you're living fine."

The guy's eyes widened, hearing the voice come from behind him. He rushed into the room, hurrying to stand next to the window. He could see a tall figure standing in the doorway. 

"Seeing you live like nothing ever happened... You truly have no remorse."

The person stepped closer, the moonlight revealing their features.

"W-Who are you?! What are you doing in my house?!" the guy shouted, trembling.

His gaze then drifted away when he saw something shine out of the corner of his eye. The figure lifted his arm up, revealing a gun.

"All you need to know... is that I'm here to kill you."