Chapter 3

A few minutes later, all of Team Voltron was led into a small room of some sort, that had a strange piece of technology sitting right in the center. Pidge was already examing it upside down when a familiar figure walked into the room.

"I heard about what happened," Krolia said. "Is everyone alright?"

"Mom," Keith said, a little startled to see her here. "We're fine."

"Another Zatarc incident. Perhaps you would like to take over?" Kolivan motioned to the rest of Team Voltron.

"Ah, yes." In my spare time, I've been conducting some research on Zatarcs. Nothing's been proven yet, but I think I have a method of detecting if one had been compromised by this Galra technology." Krolia walked over to the large piece of tech resting in the center of the room.

"This machine is able to detect wheather a person is being truthful, even if they are not aware they are lying," Krolia explained.

"So it's a lie detector?" Lance asked. "Cool."

"It reads the subsonscious?" Allura looked it up and down, not sure if she was very thrilled with that idea.

"And compares it to the conscious memory. It was originally created to verify information retrieved from Blade operatives. "It's a modified version of a Galra recall device, able to decipher whether the memory being recalled by the subject is true or false."

"So it indicates a Zatarc, because the Galra use false memories to cover the programming?" Pidge asked. "That's ingenious."

"That is the current theory, yes," Krolia said.

"Can you idenitify the Zatarc's mission?" Keith asked.

"Unfortunately, no. It will only tell us if a person is a Zatarc, not what they're programmed to do."

Shiro let out a deep breath. "Well let's get this over with," he said, refusing to consider the possibility that anyone on his team was a Zatarc.

***

"Try to stay calm, I will detect your vision here," Krolia said. She started out with Keith, who had volunteered to go first. He was in the room alone, sitting in a chair with a band strapped around his head. Kolivan and Shiro were waiting outside, watching through a glass window.

"Tell us about one of your most recent adventures, when Zethrid and Ezor held you captive."

With the Galra recall device, Keith was able to remember through vivid detail exactly what had happened. He came through clean, and so did the others, until it was Pidge and Lance's turns.

"Zethrid and Ezor were going to hurt Pidge to get information from your team," Krolia said.

"That's right," Lance said, the memory as clear as day.

"But you wouldn't let them."

"No. I tried to stop them...but I couldn't." Lance said. Krolia stared down at the results with worried eyes.

***

"And then we we're able to escape and make it off the warship," Pidge said, summarizing their entire adventure that day. It had been a wild one.

"Are you sure you're telling me everything?" Krolia asked. The test results we're not looking promising.

"Yeah, that's everything," Pidge said, searching her memory again. She wasn't leaving anything out.

Krolia looked at the results, then back at Pidge again. A horrified expression crossed her face.

"You're not serious," she said, hardly able to fathom the possibility of what this meant.

***

Lance looked back and forth at all the worried faces trained on him. "What?" he asked, trying to guess what was going on.

***

Once they were alone, Krolia looked from Shiro to Kolivan. "Pidge and Lance...are both Zatarcs," she finally managed to say, much to everyone's horror. Shiro felt his heart drop at that thought. No...this couldn't be true.